Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
T-shirt quilt? >

T-shirt quilt?

T-shirt quilt?

Old 03-09-2022, 06:53 AM

Default T-shirt quilt?

I am about to put together a T-shirt quilt for Granddaughter's graduation this spring. I made one last year for Grandson so know the basics. My Granddaughter has more T-shirts than her brother so am wondering the best way to add more. I already am making it a block wider and a block longer with a smaller black strip between the blocks. Am wondering the best way to add a few blocks to the back. I back my T- shirt quilts with a no-pill plush fleece as it makes them so soft and kids are so into fleece blankets these days. I then use no batting and it still makes a nice weight quilt. Should I put a row of blocks across the top, down the length of the quilt or what do you think?
Old 03-09-2022, 05:40 PM

i would put a row or column of the extra shirt blocks on the back. but do not center them exactly in the middle. When you go to make the sandwich, it is difficult to get the back lined up exactly. if you off center the strip a little, then it looks intentional as opposed to just being "off"
Old 03-10-2022, 01:02 PM

LAF219
I heard that tip from a lady cutting my fabric at JoAnn Fabrics so I think that is what I will do. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2022, 03:02 AM

you could use the extra shirts to make a tote or zipper bag. I made these with the extra shirts from my cousins' quilts.
Attached Thumbnails open.jpg   calallen-bag.jpg  
Old 03-11-2022, 04:25 AM

Are you making each block the same size per shirt? I kind of like to do it as a collage when I have more shirts than normal. I'll keep the rows the s as me width, but the blocks length according to the shirt.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:04 AM

My blocks are all 12 inches finished. I like the idea of using one for a bag. Thanks.