Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Matching thicknesses of lightweight poly batt... >

Matching thicknesses of lightweight poly batt...

Matching thicknesses of lightweight poly batt...

Old 03-15-2022, 09:35 PM

Default Matching thicknesses of lightweight poly batt...

I'm feeling stuck and I could use some help. I've got a quilt-as-you-go project, that was hibernating for more than 5 years. Just finished hand-quilting the first section and piecing the second section. And I don't have enough of the original batting, and after all these years I don't remember where that batting came from.

Soft and Bright at the LQS seemed to sorta kinda match, but after basting and starting to quilt, I think it's too thick! It seems thick and stiff. So I ordered online some Poly-fil low-loft. Now it's arrived and... it's too thin

As far as I've been able to figure out, the Soft and Bright is 4oz and the low loft is 2oz. Is there 3oz batting out there?

The remaining of the original batting is irregular and less than a yard, but in my desperation I measured and weighed it and if my measuring and math are right (which I wouldn't count on), it would come out to about 4.2oz. Is there another way to know how thick batting is, calipers or something? Perhaps I'm wrong that it's too thick, and it's just got more bonding so feels thicker than it is?

I'm not thrilled about picking out my stitching now, but the project is so much work that hoping for the best is not going to work....

I've learned a lot about planning ahead...
Old 03-16-2022, 04:58 AM

We've all done stuff like this. I've only used poly batting a few times, and the scraps I have left are completely different from each other. One has a very pronounced scrim, others not. I do know that it's from JoAnn's, however.

Do you have any idea if you bought it online or locally? If online, I would be going back through credit card statements to see if something rings a bell. That might narrow it down. If locally, I'd be hauling the project in there. There has to be a solution besides randomly buying things and guessing. Ugh.

Do let us know how you figure it out.

hugs,
charlotte

Old 03-16-2022, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

If you double the poly low loft, would it match the other squares?
Old 03-16-2022, 05:59 AM

A lot of the major batting manufacturers' have a "sample pack or card" of their battings, if you can, get some of those which will make them easier to compare with what you have.
Old 03-16-2022, 06:11 PM

Can you put the original block on the edge and just continue to use the Soft and Bright that you purchased? I think if you put one block on the edge or corner that’s a bit different it will not be noticeable.
Old 03-17-2022, 12:39 PM

thank everyone for the advice! I'm still in a quandary but somewhat forwarder. This project is borderline too-much-work-just-give-it-up, so I need to be sure it's going to be perfect (well, as close as my skills allow), or I just won't feel motivated, and I don't mind perhaps going to excess to make sure.

Charlotte, this batting had probably been in my stash for a while, well back before 2015 and any receipts are long gone. I suspect I would have got it at joanns.

Tartan, doubling the 2oz one is an idea I didn't think of. I got a sample ready to test, but I think it's too bulky.

Wesing, the sections are about 6 blocks in size, and the original section is in the middle not a corner... it can't really hide. But being surrounded on three sides and with zig-zag joins (it's in hexagons) it might pass. Though I prefer the softness of the original...

Sewingpup, I looked at sample cards, but most of the samples would not be thin poly so it seems like too much when I could just order one more batt :-) . Side note: it's amazing how things have changed... seems like it used to be that everyone just used poly.

In the meantime, the calipers I ordered have arrived... and a quick test, over 8 layers, it looks like the low-loft is thicker than the original! the soft and bright and original are similar. But I need to do a more careful test. Am I mistaking thickness for stiffness? I would guess that some stiffness relaxes with time and manipulation?

I am going to do an actual quilting test. I've cut 6" squares of the same fabric for top and bottom (the quilt is scrappy front and back, so while I don't think that's the thickness/stiffness problem, I can still hope!). I'll do a little bit of quilting comparing battings.

And my finger hovers over buy now button for mountain mist quilt-light... if I just try one more, maybe that will be exactly perfect...
Old 03-17-2022, 08:38 PM

It looks like Soft and Bright is much more difficult to hand quilt (needle) than the original batting... must be really meant for machine quilting.
Old 03-18-2022, 05:07 PM

Lisa, I was just wondering if JoAnn's battings really change that often. Have you tried seeing if a match is there?

charlotte

Old 03-20-2022, 09:35 PM

Charlotte, thanks for the nudge... got myself to Joanns (I'd been telling myself I looked online and it was enough but well that really isn't true). The LQS is a lot closer, and the local Joanns is small and not very good. I bought two more batts... they don't match my original very well, but might work... this side project seems to have taken on a life of its own...
Old 03-21-2022, 03:13 AM

Hey Lisa, Are you near Jordans Fabrics? The lady from Youtube. Or near any quilt guild? If I were you I'd try those two options. Certainly someone closer by could look at what you're working on and give their thoughts. I am a visual type person and maybe if you could get lots of eyes on your project you would get the help you need and clear direction. Years ago I had a top (it is still just a top) that I just couldn't find the right fabric for an inner boarder. I hadn't been to guild for a while and one day I went to open sew. I was sharing my dilemma with a lady I had just met. She asked to see the top. I laid it out on the floor and instantly she said she had the perfect fabric for my inner border. She pulled out a folded piece of fabric from one of her fabric bins and it was absolutely perfect!!! I was stunned 😧! It is the perfect fabric so,so,so perfect!
This experience is why I say to get to a local guild or maybe Jordans Fabrics. Donna and her crew may have an answer for you. And I don't know Donna and I haven't ever been to her shop. It's just a thought