Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Oh no, about to rip my whole quilt apart… >

Oh no, about to rip my whole quilt apart…

Oh no, about to rip my whole quilt apart…

Old 03-21-2022, 10:42 AM

Default Oh no, about to rip my whole quilt apart…

So…one of my fabrics is directional. I’m about 40% done and I can’t unsee the awfulness that is this directional print. I don’t know what I was thinking. I can’t decide if I should just go with the flow and suck it up, build a bridge and move on seriously undo all of my work and let this error just live on as life isn’t always perfect. I’m just looking for some words of wisdom here. 😖😖
Old 03-21-2022, 11:03 AM

Can we see a photo?
Old 03-21-2022, 11:20 AM

A photo would definitely help. I think it depends on the pattern. I've used directional fabric, and because of the particular pattern, or small sized pieces, it doesn't matter.
Old 03-21-2022, 11:23 AM

Give the quilt a rest! Maybe, when you get back to it, it'll tell you what to do next. If you still are not happy with it, make what you have done into a small quilt and donate it! We are our own worst critic and I sure someone will love it!
Old 03-21-2022, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by pennyhal2 View Post
Give the quilt a rest! Maybe, when you get back to it, it'll tell you what to do next. If you still are not happy with it, make what you have done into a small quilt and donate it! We are our own worst critic and I sure someone will love it!
I agree with pennyhal2 - put it down and walk away for awhile. I did an entire Block of the Month and when I put on the border I just hated it. It sat for two years unquilted. When I pulled it out I thought I would just quilt it and be done with it. It now lives on the guest bed and (btw) - I love it.

You should post a pic. Sometimes when using directional fabric, you have no options but have it go every way. When I find myself in that position, I make sure that I have pattern going multiple directions in every block so it doesn't look like I made a "mistake" on one or two blocks!! Good luck if you decide to have a visit with Jack!!

Old 03-22-2022, 06:19 AM

I've found directional fabric is only a big deal if the design of the quilt makes it so it's only going to be used (or hung) in one direction. My avatar is a good example, this quilt has an obvious top and bottom, so it might be an issue. but if it's not that way. I let directional fabric go any direction. I have used a lot of fabric with faces or animals that isn't directional, but when cut into pieces it appears it does, and I don't worry about that, so I'll have faces going sideways or upside-down and leave it. Though I'll try to watch so I don't have any with the heads cut off, or animal's behinds as the only part of the animal showing.

Old 03-22-2022, 03:57 PM

Directional fabrics can drive me nuts. But then sometimes they are exactly what is needed. Post a photo. It may not be as bad as you think.
Old 03-23-2022, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

I agree that directionals make me nuts. I never get them the right way no matter how well I plan it.