Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fleece question >

Fleece question

Fleece question

Old 03-24-2022, 08:08 AM

Question Fleece question

I have been thinking about this for awhile now. I need opinions please. I am wondering if I could use fleece for the back of some charity quilts? I am using quilting cotton for the front and thinking about putting muslin in the middle ( to help the back colors from showing through the pieced top). What do you quilters think? I was thinking I could catch the muslin with the fleece on my midarm and avoid stretching the fleece. will this work? I will not have to buy batting and use up my fleece at the same time-win-win? I appreciate any thoughts, thanks.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

I think it's worth a try...
Old 03-24-2022, 08:45 AM

I have used fleece for FMQ and found is very *squooshy*. The stitch's sink in great and it slides like a dream - but the tension in my hands and shoulders to keep it flat as I was working with it was very wearing after a while. Works FABULOUS for walking foot quilting.
you still have to do some binding on the edge and because only 2 layers you may need to change the width of your strips. Do some experiments to see what you like.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:52 AM

I think it is a good idea. The quilt will be both stable and warm.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:56 AM

I've used fleece and found it very easy to work with, but I don't like the lack of squishiness of no batting but then I am typically sewing for a cool climate. For a functional blanket that can be used as a blanky or used to build forts and put down on the ground for a picnic, it can be great.

I do prefer something more than just the top and fleece and for dark colors showing through it is pretty necessary. Muslin or flannel (pre-washed/shrunk) would work fine.

Old 03-25-2022, 01:18 AM

Fleece on the back makes a great quilt. If the fleece is very soft, or squishy, I'll use well washed flannel in the center (old flannel sheets are perfect). I've made tons of quilts for friends and family and everyone loves the softness and warmth of these. They wash well and hold up. Great choice. I do bind my quilts, cutting my strips 2.25" wide.
Old 03-25-2022, 05:49 AM

I use no pill plush fleece on the back of a lot of my quilts - love the feel of it and the weight is the same as a quilt with batting in and a regular cotton on the back. A quite thin fleece would probably need something between. I machine quilt on my domestic machine and it slides so nice when quilting. I have never put minky on the back of a quilt without some kind of batting as it is a thinner fabric. Do a sample block with and without something between to see how you like it.
Old 03-25-2022, 03:15 PM

Thanks everyone. I am going for it. I thought with the muslin in the middle it would not let the fleece show through the light areas of the quilt top.