Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Circles- Sewing Machine Attachment vs. Acrylic Table >

Circles- Sewing Machine Attachment vs. Acrylic Table

Circles- Sewing Machine Attachment vs. Acrylic Table

Old 04-04-2022, 08:42 AM

Default Circles- Sewing Machine Attachment vs. Acrylic Table

On my bucket list this year is a quilt with circles. I have several patterns in mind. I completed the simple one in the photo (hope it attached) using the "thumb tack tapped to the bed of the machine" technique. It certainly worked, but had its disadvantages that all circles needed to be completed at once while the thumbtack was in position and very difficult to make any adjustments after the fact. I am considering a circle sewing machine attachment for my Brother machine - about $60-90 or purchasing an acrylic table extender with the holes and the table circle tool - about $150. Does anyone have experience with both the sewing machine circular attachments and the acrylic table extensions with their own circular sewing tools for completing circles? Which do you prefer and why? Thank you for your assistance.
Attached Thumbnails circle-pillow-wrap.jpg  
Old 04-04-2022, 08:51 AM

I have the circle foot attachment for my machine. (BL-Brother machines). It's the one with the thumb-tack like pin. I used to quilt half circles and liked the technique. Be sure to purchase a couple extra tacks in case you should mis-place the original pin.
Old 04-04-2022, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

Have the attachment but not used yet. Love your quilt, good job
Old 04-04-2022, 01:14 PM

I have the attachment and have used it quite a bit. My one tip is to put a square of painters tape over the spot where you are going to put the pin through, just in case it comes out. This way, you will be able to find the exact hole again.
I've never seen the table you're referencing.

Watson
Old 04-05-2022, 02:23 PM

I have and use the circle attachment for my Pfaff. I love it. I bought it because an extension table came free with my machine when I purchased it. It seems like either would work fine but the deciding factor would be the size of the circles. Make sure whatever you choose has a size for the largest circle to the smallest circle that you plan to make. The smallest diameter I can make with my circle attachment is about 2.5" and the largest 10". But it also came with a template so I can make something akin to a flower petal so I am not limited to just circles. I don't think a table would let you make a circle as small as 2.5".

Either way you will love making circles!