Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need opinions please?? >

Need opinions please??

Need opinions please??

Old 04-13-2022, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by KathyE View Post
I am making a quilt for my son and dil in purple and yellow (her choice). I decided to do a Jacob's Ladder after making a couple of other blocks and not liking them. I have now made about 15 blocks and realized I will run out of the yellow fabric. So I found the name and number on the selvedge and ordered more from Fat Quarter Shop. It arrived yesterday and it is NOT the same color. The blocks I already made are light yellow background with white polka dots. The new fabric is dark yellow with white polka dots. What do I do? Make the rest in the new color and mix the blocks throughout the quilt? I hate to start over but if that is the best option I guess that is what I will do. What do you think?
I have done that very thing. It was a baby quilt and the pattern did not lend itself to absolute alternating rows so I just did a controlled random pattern and it really turned out nicely. I agree with the suggestions that have been made-- go for it.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:44 AM

I've had this same problem in the past where you order the same fabric and the colors are not anywhere near to each other. I remember a long time ago an advice was given that said that if you need more fabric, buy it off of the same roll. However, with Covid, I can no longer do this as I've been shopping online. So, now, I always buy a little more of what I need. No such thing as too much fabric!
Old 04-13-2022, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
yes.....I would try mixing in the new fabric with blocks made of the old yellow. It actually may work out well depending on the pattern. It just might add a bit more movement and interest?
I completely agree. Personally, I find quilts made in a "controlled scrappy" manner are much more interesting and pretty.
Old 04-13-2022, 12:54 PM

You may have ordered the exact kind you had but different bolts have difference in dye lots. They say that yarns are the same way. I did like you and ordered the exact same thing I had but it was a blue color. It was off a different bolt I am sure and colors were off. I had finished my quilt and decided to order enough for shams. In my case I didn't make the shams because they would have been obvious, they would have looked faded compared to the quilt.
However in your case, I would mix the blocks up and they would think you planned it that way. Be sure to show us, Purple and gold are LSU colors and maybe a few more, I don't know.Best Wishes-Toogie
Old 04-14-2022, 05:13 AM

I was thinking about coping blocks when I came across this, and wonder if you could make the blocks go from lighter blocks to darker ones, or put 3 of the lighter ones in each corner of the quilt so they frame the edges. I had to deal with this a few times, if I don't order all of my fabric at the same time, it doesn't match; that's an opportunity to be creative, right? Some of my better stuff came from that improvising. Have fun, breath, and remind myself it's gonna be beautiful!
Old 04-14-2022, 07:23 AM

I would find 1 or 2 other yellows(or more) that blend well with your original. Then you could distribute those yellow blocks randomly throughout the layout.
Old 04-15-2022, 04:58 AM

Something I just discovered - go to the fabric manufacturer's website and look at the collection that your fabric is part of. You will see small pictures of fabrics with the item number and color number beneath. Hope this helps.