Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design Wall >

Design Wall

Design Wall

Old 04-18-2022, 07:25 PM

Question Design Wall

I'm setting up my new sewing room, having just moved. We have painted and changed the flooring in the entire house. My sewing room is 12' x 13'. One wall contains a closet, and directly across from the closet is the window. The other two walls are blank. I plan to put a design wall on one of the walls. I am wondering this:

How big is your design wall, or what would be a good size for a design wall?
Do you think the design wall should be behind where I sit, or across the room, where I can see the design wall when I sew?

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-19-2022, 01:52 AM

My design wall is the entire wall next to my sewing machine it’s about 7.5 ft high x 14ft wide. I use insulation board covered with batting. I could not quilt without a design board as all my quilts are at least twin size and larger. I like having my wall next to my sewing machine as I place blocks on the board as they are finished. I have rearranged my sewing room at least 3 times before I found a configuration that worked for me. Congratulations on your new home and new sewing space!
Old 04-19-2022, 03:17 AM
Power Poster

One of the must haves when we were looking for a new house was the sewing room had to have a wall for a design wall. I wouldn't compromise on my sewing room. I covered two 4 x 8 insulation foam boards and stapled them to the wall. It's 8 x 8 .
Old 04-19-2022, 03:39 AM

I put a line of Command hooks close to the ceiling. on one wall in my sewing room. I use curtain rings with clips to hold a large piece of white flannel. This is my design wall. It is perpendicular to my sewing machine, which I don't think really matters. I like to stand back and look at my quilts. I also take cell phone pictures of my blocks before sewing them together.
If needed, I can unclip the flannel and then hang a finished quilt.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:31 AM

I like my design wall across room from machine so that I can see it while sewing. Sometimes I put pieces up to inspire ideas.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltBaer View Post
I put a line of Command hooks close to the ceiling. on one wall in my sewing room. I use curtain rings with clips to hold a large piece of white flannel. This is my design wall. It is perpendicular to my sewing machine, which I don't think really matters. I like to stand back and look at my quilts. I also take cell phone pictures of my blocks before sewing them together.
If needed, I can unclip the flannel and then hang a finished quilt.
I have hung the design wall up the same way. Easy to switch things out.
Old 04-19-2022, 05:36 AM

I have my design wall hanging over the sliding closet doors. It is mildly inconvenient when I want to get into the closet, but it was the best place for my space. I have a cheap tablecloth that has thin plastic on one side and a light flannel on the other side that I hang. I actually sewed two of them together to make it wall sized. I put those plastic grommets in the tablecloth because they snap together and I can reuse them. It is not pretty, but it is very large and works for me.
Old 04-19-2022, 05:44 AM

I have my large design wall behind me when I am sewing, I also hung a small flannel table cloth across the room for the "next" quilt either a panel or different fabrics I like. It is only about 5' x 5".
Old 04-19-2022, 06:05 AM

My design wall is 8 feet wide and goes to the ceiling. I had my builder install cork board, then I covered it with batting. Blocks stick to the batting and if I need to pin something in place, it’s easy with the cork board. Mine is perpendicular to my sewing machine and across from my cutting table. I like being able to see from a distance. Enjoy your new space.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
One of the must haves when we were looking for a new house was the sewing room had to have a wall for a design wall. I wouldn't compromise on my sewing room. I covered two 4 x 8 insulation foam boards and stapled them to the wall. It's 8 x 8 .
i have the same. Covered with 2 flannel sheets. Started with 1, felt need for 2nd one. I would be lost without it.