Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Computer monitor getting darker and darker. >

Computer monitor getting darker and darker.

Computer monitor getting darker and darker.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

I wasn't plannning on buying a new monitor but looks like I will be. My monitor is getting darker by the hour. I guess I need to order one before the screen goes black. :?
Old 12-17-2009, 01:03 PM

If you can hold out until the Boxing Week Sale you might get a really good deal! Staples does some great online specials that week!
Old 12-17-2009, 01:14 PM

To ask what might be a stupid question, have you tried adjusting the brightness?

I imagine you have, but I could see someone just assuming their monitor is going, when it's the cat rubbing against the dark adjustment control on the side of the monitor or something.

Also, have you checked the cords going to and from the monitor? Make sure they're all securely in.

I'm just thinking that when monitors start to go, you usually would notice pixels failing rather than an overall darkening - but I could very well be wrong about that.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

Oh No!!! Not the best time of year to have to replace these...atleast some stores are having good sales :D:D:D
Old 12-17-2009, 02:17 PM

Are you on the same circuit with new stuff? If you are on a surge protector, try plugging it in directly and see if that changes anything.

The online big guys (Frys, Tiger Direct, Newegg) have all been trying to entice me with $99 flatscreens -some are 20 inches.

I kinda doubt they'll be less after the holidays, although brick and mortar stores may match the price. If you comparison shop online, print out what you are shopping for, and go to the store manager and see if he/she will match the price.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the tips but the monitor is dying. When it starts to get dark it's a goner. I can have it repaired for $150! I found one tonight at WalMart for $98 marked down from $179. They are discontinuing that model, so a big mark down. It's a flat screen and small but will do fine for my desktop.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:02 AM
Banned

go to TigerDirect.com for a deal on a flat screen. I just bought two more 24" Acer flatscreens for $129 each plus free shipping. I will only go there to buy my electronics, the best deals and the best service hands down.

My 60" Toshiba LCD TV came from there a few months ago for $499 plus free shipping. And I picked up the 32" for my studio for $299 and free shipping.

Billy
Old 12-20-2009, 08:36 AM
Banned

we went thru that last yr. irratating huh?