Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 590 >

Bernina 590

Bernina 590

Old 04-29-2022, 04:18 PM

I do need to go back and try the 97 and then the 97D. My current thought is that the dual feed when using the 97D foot sometimes blocked the tip of the triangle and actually interfered with the triangle advancing. When I put on the 97 foot and then of course was not able to use the dual feed, it seemed like the triangle pieces advanced smoother, and I did not have the problem with the end of the triangle pieces getting bunched up a bit at the tip. I did have the 5mm stitch plate on and I need to go back and put on the single hole plate to see if that is even better. As I mentioned before, my dealer was new to Bernina and also opening a new shop and moving another, when I first got it so my learning curve has been a bit of my own trial and error. I am giving feedback to the shop as I learn so hopefully my feedback on what has worked for me gets passed on. I do think however, that I will still use my dual feed 97D foot when stitching longer seams together and not working on these smaller triangles.

Last edited by sewingpup; 04-29-2022 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-03-2022, 07:36 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
Default Bought it!

Bought it! Got a Bernina 590 and the 97 foot. I am keeping my 440 QE with embroidery and all the extra feet I have acquired with my 20 year old machine!
Going to set it up and try it out! Wish me luck and stay tuned!
Terry
Old 05-03-2022, 11:05 AM

Congratulations! The more I use my 590, the more I am loving it. There definitely is a learning curve. The first month or so may be frustrating! There is also a lot of you tubes out there on various aspects. Hope your dealer is offering some classes on it. I finally got my Bonnie Hunter mystery top finished so now I can move on to exploring more aspects of my 590. Am itching to try some quilting with the BSR and also Ruler work as I got the ruler work foot for it too. I am also wanting to do more embroidery. So much to learn on this machine!
Old 05-03-2022, 11:32 AM

I see that Bernina currently has a 25% off promotion (with a trade in of any machine). Looks pretty attractive to but y right now. Or is this like Accuquilt: wait and another promo will come along.
Old 05-04-2022, 05:25 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Yes the dealer did have the 25% off sale going on but the price he sold it to me for was even less because it was a “open box“ deal. I am a firm believer in buying from a place that will support and repair if necessary your machines. This is such a place and perhaps that is why they have one so many awards from Bernina. Thanks for the note on YouTube videos watched several yesterday and hope to watch more in the coming days.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:45 AM

I am so glad you have an experienced Bernina Dealer. When I got my 570, my dealer was very new to Bernina as was her tech. Perhaps that is why I was so frustrated with it. I didn't know if it was me or the machine and I don't think they did either. After several attempts at fixing the issue after I had figured out it wasn't all me, I traded it in for the 590. I am so glad I did. I am taking another class from them in June. hoping in the year or so, they have become more comfortable with the Bernina's themselves and I will get more useful instruction. oh, I also learned there was a bit of bug in the firmware in that the tension did not engage right away when starting to stitch and that was corrected in a firmware update. So glad Bernina takes the time to trouble shoot and addresses any bugs with updates.
Old 05-04-2022, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

Terry, congratulations on your new machine!
I agree about the dealer. Mine has been in the Bernina business for decades. They are fantastic. These machines are pricey so it's imperative to have the support.
You're going to have a lot of fun with that new machine!