Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Teaching hand quilting >

Teaching hand quilting

Teaching hand quilting

Old 05-02-2022, 06:30 PM

Default Teaching hand quilting

If you were going to teach hand piecing and quilting to a friend, how would you go about it? Back-in-the-day, when I learned to quilt in the 80's, we were taught to draw around templates, cutting each piece out a quarter inch beyond the line, and then hand piece by following the drawn seam line. Now everyone uses rotary cutters. If I teach her to piece by stitching on the seam line, should I just have her draw around templates? Or is there a better way to do this, except using a rotary cutter? Seems like I should be able to figure this one out, but . . . ??
Old 05-02-2022, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

I made two templates for each piece. One for the cut/unfinished size to cut around; and one for the finished size/ sewing line to trace around.

I need the drawn lines to sew on to get anything resembling straight, even lines.
Old 05-03-2022, 01:27 AM

You can also use a ruler to draw seam lines 1/4" from the edge of the cut pieces. I'd suggest a smaller ruler than the one you use to rotary cut, just for ease.
Old 05-03-2022, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
You can also use a ruler to draw seam lines 1/4" from the edge of the cut pieces. I'd suggest a smaller ruler than the one you use to rotary cut, just for ease.
This is what I've done in the past as well when hand sewing. I have a 6" long ruler that I use for this purpose as well as any other smaller cuts/trimming.
Old 05-03-2022, 04:15 PM

I would teach her whatever way you do it, because that is what you're most knowledgeable about. It's hard to teach someone a technique you yourself are not familiar with.
(This is why when my husband needs to do a presentation or show proficiency in something at work, he always teaches me first, because that is how he figures out what he needs to improve upon. 😉 )