Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Backing >

Quilt Backing

Quilt Backing

Old 05-04-2022, 08:35 AM

Default Quilt Backing

Hello Everyone,

I am making my third quilt. I am at the backing prepping. I have watched YouTube and search this board for answers. I don’t want to ruin the fabric. Nothing seems to start from the very beginning for a newbie! Your help is always appreciated. A link is also helpful if this is hard to explain in writing. Thanks is advance!

How do I fold, sew and cut my 45” fabric to fit my quilt top?
Old 05-04-2022, 09:12 AM

There are lots of videos on Youtube. Just search for 'how to make quilt backing 45 inch fabric'.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:37 AM

You want to have extra fabric all around the quilt. This give you room for the quilt as it may shift a bit when quilting. Either trim the backing and batting before or after sewing the binding on
Old 05-04-2022, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

How big is your quilt top? Hard to help you piece your back with no idea what size it needs to be
Old 05-04-2022, 03:41 PM
Gay

We need to know the size of your quilt top, and how much fabric you have for backing
Old 05-04-2022, 04:16 PM

I wish I could help. I have wondered about that also. How does one keep the seams straight and if you put a decorative section in how do you keep it from moving side to side and how to know if it is centered. I will be watching to see all the good ideas.
Old 05-04-2022, 04:40 PM

https://www.craftsy.com/post/how-to-...quilt-backing/
this is one site, many , many more out there on this.
and most recommend when adding to width of backing pieces, not to put in the center since it is difficult for fabric to stay exactly in place. long arm quilters say this especially.
Good luck.
Old 05-05-2022, 02:48 AM

My normal way is pretty low-tech. I lay out my quilt top on my king-size bed (it's the largest flat surface in my house!). I then take my pre-washed backing fabric and lay it over the top. I fold in various manners to see what fits best over my top to give me the added fabric on all sides. I then proceed to cut/sew as needed.
Old 05-05-2022, 03:13 AM

I encourage you to not worry about centering - instead, plan it to be off center and/or off kilter (as we used to say). That way you don't have to worry about whether anything moves. When I enter a square or rectangle, I first put on borders that are actually triangles so the square/rectangle is "a-kilter' then put the other fabric around it with straight seams.

and like others have said, be sure to have wider backing than the top and batting - if you use a long-armer they often require 3 to 4 inches on every side...so add 6 to 8 inches to both length and width.