Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Designing Your Dream Sewing Room... >

Designing Your Dream Sewing Room...

Designing Your Dream Sewing Room...

Old 05-15-2022, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

Ru, that looks great!!! You're going to have a lot of fun in there
Old 05-17-2022, 12:23 PM

aashley, I can see that you like the color blue, your sewing space just radiates blue. Very nice space.
Old 05-17-2022, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

Place for wastebaskets - preferable "away" from where "good" stluff might accidentally fall. If there is such a place.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:21 AM

The only thing I've been wishing for that I haven't seen mention so far - a big platform that raises out of the floor so I can reach the top of the design wall. Using the step stool is getting harder due to a hip issue. I replaced the 2-step stool with a 3-step one so it's easier to hold on to the top bar while I go up/down. Every time I think about leaning over trying to reach that last couple of inches, I remember MIL that did that while painting and fell off the ladder, broke her shoulder and never could raise her arm above shoulder height. *That* would put a damper on using the design wall!

Mostly my current rooms* are ok, but there are some things I'd tweak - no carpet, outlets easier to reach (table high?) and more of them, better lighting, TV cable or streaming setup, everything on wheels. Other things that bother me about my current set up are all my doings, like the over-stuffed shelves on the walls & in the closet, too many "could be useful someday" items in the drawers, and replacing the HQ table with a hoop-frame which is a a bit too large for the space.
*after DS moved out, I took over the closet for quilt fabrics after 6 months, moved the iron in and and put up a design wall after a year. Then added the HQ and table. When I got the hoop-frame, it went where the cutting table was & the cutting table went to DS's former room. Some days I wish I had room for everything in the same room, but most days it's good as is - it gets me up and moving.

DH has suggested I move all my stuff to the basement where there'd be lots more room. Except - I know I'd probably end up filling that up also. Add in all the work hauling it all down and setting it up, plus I far prefer being upstairs where I can look out the windows at something besides the bottom of the deck and a block wall. I'll keep things as they are and keep trying to convince myself to get rid of things not used in... ever?
Old 05-18-2022, 05:30 PM

"keep trying to convince myself to get rid of things not used in... ever?"

This is what I did with packing, and then yet again when setting up my new quilting room. I just got into the frame of mind that I don't want stuff. I want to do my quilting, and the stuff was in the way. My plan is to work from my stash, and then only buy the amount I need for the current project. It felt good to let a lot of the 'stuff' go to donations.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 05-18-2022 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by JustGail View Post

Mostly my current rooms* are ok, but there are some things I'd tweak - no carpet, outlets easier to reach (table high?)
I keep the surge protector up on the table for all the plugs. No need to bend down to the electrical outlet except for the initial plug in of the protector.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:59 AM

Did anyone mention a robotic vacuum to clean up all those bits of thread and pins?
Old 07-07-2022, 02:55 PM

14' x 16' room attached to my Jack & Jill Bath. Must contain minimum 5' x 3' sewing table with leaf that opens from the wall another 5' x 3' to hold my machines -- sewing and serger. 1 wall of shelves that I can reach from my powerchair -- being from the near floor to the top of my ability to see and reach the top shelf. Peg wall so all my sewing stuff can be in the right place when I look for it. Special place for bobbins, needles, straight & safety pins and a safe place for my patterns. A wall full of shelvesfor all my books--crocheting, quilting, plastic canvas. Table for my jigsaw puzzle and just 1 more thing--NO cats allowed. They love to get up on my table and send my puzzle pieces across the room, of which I have to find a way to get picked up. Just a minor detail.

Oh Yeah another 1 more thing-------No More Boxes (yeah, Right. Until the next load from......hummmm)

Last edited by MaryKa; 07-07-2022 at 03:05 PM.