Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I want a straight stitch machine for quilting.... >

I want a straight stitch machine for quilting....

I want a straight stitch machine for quilting....

Old 06-03-2022, 05:22 AM

Default I want a straight stitch machine for quilting....

I'm thinking about buying a Juki TL2010...however...I'm not sure I want a "temperamental" machine as a fellow poster here talked about. I've loved my Brother Nouvelle PQ1500 for the past 12 years with NO issues whatsoever. However, we moved cross country from AZ to PA in February and the movers were far from careful with my machines. Even though they were labeled as fragile sewing machines and packed extra well by me, they piled heavy boxes of books on them and the tension guide was broken on my beloved Brother machine.

I took it to be repaired but was tempted by the Janome 9450 and brought it home. It's an OK machine, but does not sew through seams on quilts like my Brother did, even with the Accufeed feet. I want a straight stitch machine again and thought about another new Brother 1500SL but I've read they have issues, too.

Any suggestions??
Old 06-03-2022, 05:35 AM

I had the same issue with my movers who were big name movers. When I saw my Viking D1 in it's original box at the bottom of a tall pile of boxes of hardback books I screamed. They came back and said they knew how to pack. Luckily I kept all the packing material in my machine box so that must have protected it somewhat as I had no problems with my machine when I used her for the 1st time. I continue to keep all my machine boxes and their packing material for that main reason as I have sold a machine or two since my last move and having their boxes made it easier and safer.

Sorry you didn't fair as well.
Old 06-03-2022, 05:58 AM

I absolutely keep all the packaging that came with my machines. I am lucky that I have a space to keep them. I was told when I got my APQS Lucey to keep the box the machine came in as it would cost $$ and shipping to have the company send a new shipping box for it. I also have been told that by my Viking dealer, although they do have a great tech with years of experience, they said occasionally they may have to ship it back to get it repaired. I also have taken my most delicate, valuable items with me in my vehicle when I have moved. I also pack my machines in a case or box when going to a retreat to keep them secure.
Old 06-03-2022, 06:22 AM

So sorry about your movers. I have the Juki 2200 QVP Mini which is the same as the 2010. I mostly do FMQ with mine. I had some issues with it at first until I learned that I have to set it up exactly as the manual tells you. Now I have no issues and really like the machine. I've started using Glide thread because it seems to love Glide thread and I like it, too! Its a bit different than my other machines so there was a bit of a learning curve, but not too much. Now it works perfectly and my FMQ is improving all the time.

I should add that IMO one of the outstanding features of the 2010/2200 is the large throat space. If this isn't important to you, I'd save money and buy a vintage machine. My FW's and 301a have the most beautiful straight stitch ever.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 06-03-2022 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-03-2022, 06:52 AM

I have been looking at purchasing the Juki TL2010 or the TL2000QI as I want a high speed straight stitch to use on my Cutie frame (can't afford a longarm yet). The difference is the speed control on the TL2010 which I really don't need as I have a SureStitch regulator already which will work on either one. I have a quilting buddy who owns the TL2010 and she loves her machine and has had no problems with it.
Old 06-03-2022, 06:58 AM

I have had numerous Janome machines and my biggest complaint is their limited life. They are expensive and if you buy a machine that has been on the market for 8-10 years, you can only buy parts for them for 10-12 years because they discontinue after 20 years. I'm used to keeping a machine for many years. I have a Juki HZL-F600 that is made by Janome for only $999 and runs like a charm. The only drawback is the throat is only 8" which makes it difficult to work on large quilts.
Old 06-03-2022, 07:15 AM

Have owned a Juki TL2200 QVP mini for 5 years and it's a great solid, straight-stitch machine that works well for all types of quilting - I think it does a great job FMQ and walking-foot quilting. It also works great on faux leather, denim, multiple thick layers when making bags with webbing handles, etc.. I can't emphasize how solid the Juki TL is and I expect it to be running longer than I will be! I do not find mine to be particularly tempermental at all but I'm a pretty consistent user of the same threads, needles, etc.. I agree with a previous poster that it has a nice wide open throat space for such a reasonable price.

I also had experience with a more expensive Janome and thought it was no comparison to the Juki for quilting or any amount of thickness - just didn't have the ooomph needed.

Good luck finding what works well for you!
Old 06-03-2022, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily View Post
I also had experience with a more expensive Janome and thought it was no comparison to the Juki for quilting or any amount of thickness - just didn't have the ooomph needed.

Good luck finding what works well for you!
I should have listened to my "gut" and not spent so much money for the Janome. I'm not thrilled with it and will have to suck it up and consider it one of life's lessons

It's true....it doesn't have the ooomph to sew those heavier seams. It bogs down and I hate the inconsistent stitches when it gets to a thicker area. I've watched many videos and I've been using the correct stitch plate with the HP foot, but it's still not like my Brother PQ1500.

So, I was about to order a new Brother PQ1500, when I decided to call the dealer I took my broken Brother in to to see if she still had it. Well...she does and it's been fixed. I'm going to get it back next week for what the repair was + the allowance she gave me on the Janome.

I feel so guilty that I spent the money on the Janome. I've had another Janome several years ago and returned it because it didn't have the power to get over those seams. Maybe I can sell it back to her???
Old 06-03-2022, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

I have two new-ish Brother PQ1500s with no issues. I use them for piecing and FMQ. I am in a Juki 2010 group on Facebook and those machines seem
to have more issues than the Brother. Also on a Brother PQ1500 group. Many less issues. Mostly user learning. Also Brother is cheaper.
Old 06-03-2022, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by retired2pa View Post
So, I was about to order a new Brother PQ1500, when I decided to call the dealer I took my broken Brother in to to see if she still had it. Well...she does and it's been fixed. I'm going to get it back next week for what the repair was + the allowance she gave me on the Janome.
I feel so guilty that I spent the money on the Janome. Maybe I can sell it back to her???
I was going to suggest getting your Brother fixed. Fixing the tension guide on it should be straightforward and affordable. I love my 1500 so much I bought a backup on FB Marketplace for $150.

I doubt your dealer will accept a return on the Janome, the most she will probably do is give you a trade-in allowance for something else.