Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Corelle dishes not safe to use if bought before 2003 >

Corelle dishes not safe to use if bought before 2003

Corelle dishes not safe to use if bought before 2003

Old 06-03-2022, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

Default Corelle dishes not safe to use if bought before 2003

I read an article about lead being in the pattern and glaze of the dishes. The Corelle website even suggests that vintage Corelle ware be use for decorative use only. I've been using Corelle for years. Makes me heartsick. Those made after 2003 and the plain white earlier versions are lead free. I replaced my vintage patterned plates. I don't think I should donate them so what to do with them? I guess toss them?

https://tamararubin.com/?s=corelle
Old 06-03-2022, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

I have the basic white so I’m safe I guess. You need to access what your comfortable level of risk is. I don’t microwave food on plastic plates or container because that can release harmful chemicals too. They say we have about a credit card amount of micro plastics in our bodies now. If one thing doesn’t get you, something else will.🤷‍♀️
Old 06-03-2022, 04:27 PM

thank you for this. I used the green spring flowers one for years and only got rid of most of it a year or so ago (service enough for 12). I still had a few bowls and saucers from that design for use in the microwave, but will be disposing of them today.

I now have the white embossed ones that I bought to replace the green flowered ones as I was looking for one with more of a rim. Glad to see that this embossed design is safe!
Thanks again for the post!
Old 06-04-2022, 03:34 AM

Lead paint was banned in 1978, the FDA started to regulate lead levels for dishes in 1971. If you have any dishes or anything else that old you may have been exposed to lead a long time ago. If the glaze or paint is chipped on a vintage item you were probably exposed to lead. Many of us may have used cribs with lead paint as well as our children. All older homes had lead paint on the walls, as well vinyl flooring had lead in the paint in the design. Don't rush out and toss your vintage dishes, inspect them and if the glaze is worn off or chipped then toss them. This goes for Pyrex and other glass dishes also.
Old 06-04-2022, 04:06 AM

I read that article this week too and was dismayed. I'm still using my Corelleware that I got as a wedding present 51 years ago.

I ordered replacements in the white Corelleware. One can't beat the quality of these dishes. It makes me wonder why it took them to 2005 to stop using lead paint. The blue snowflake design was sentimental to me. I'll miss them.

I plan on offering the old plates to a neighbor who loves planting flowers in pots. They would be ideal to set a flower pot on.
Old 06-04-2022, 06:47 AM

Back in early 70's when I first got married, I had the plain frosted white set. Don't know what happened to those but just in the past year I decided to go back to the plain frosted white as they don't weight as much as the iron stone set I used to used. My sister also has the same frosted white so while I was collecting some of the extra pieces, if I got more than I needed, I gave the extras to my sister. We're both in our 70's now so less weigh is good.

Though the disclaimer says they won't break if you drop them, I beg to differ as it all depends on what part of the dish lands on the floor as I did have one literally shatter on me years ago. Of course that's a once in a lifetime incident so I don't feel their disclaimer is false. I love my frosted white dishes.
Old 06-04-2022, 07:00 AM

[QUOTE=Snooze2978;8554458

Though the disclaimer says they won't break if you drop them, I beg to differ as it all depends on what part of the dish lands on the floor as I did have one literally shatter on me years ago. Of course that's a once in a lifetime incident so I don't feel their disclaimer is false. I love my frosted white dishes.[/QUOTE]

I beg to differ also. When our kids were little, we broke many pieces. I called Corelle and they replaced the broken ones. I don’t think they were happy about it, but too bad. We've long since stopped using Corelle.
Old 06-04-2022, 07:28 AM

When corning sold years ago the quality of their Corelle line went way down. The older plates you could drop everyday without a break. If you happen to break one, it would be in a few pieces. The ones made after that ownership change you could drop on a linoleum floor and it will shatter into hundreds of shivered pieces. Cheaply made and cost more.
Old 06-04-2022, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

Corning ware was bought by Corelle. From what I can find out online Corning never made Corelle brands. As I understand lead can leach into food from the dishes even with no cracks or chips. I'm too old to worry about it but don't want my grandkids exposed since all lead has been banned before they were born. Using vintage dishware is not a good enough reason to expose them to any of it.
Old 06-04-2022, 12:46 PM

Whew. i have a few white plates and small bowls and about two plates with black and white checks around the edges.
also have corningware about 50 years old!