Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Rhododendron Trail by Bonnie Hunter >

Rhododendron Trail by Bonnie Hunter

Rhododendron Trail by Bonnie Hunter

Old 06-13-2022, 05:14 AM

Default Rhododendron Trail by Bonnie Hunter

This was Bonnie's Mystery quilt from winter 2021. I managed to cut all 2931 pieces before my April 2022 retreat but after finishing her Hearts of Hope and another small lap quilt, I only had time to make the flying geese border rectangles. So after quilting the previous projects I started on this probably the middle of May. It was a challenge but her directions are incredible and I learned some new ways to cut strip triangles and HSTs. I'm now in the process of tracing a pantograph on the backing which is a pale turquoise with Queen Anne's lace flowers on it. The binding will be the bright turquoise that is on the front.

My Tiara allows me to custom quilt but this quilt is so busy and I tend to quilt overall designs too close together, so I rolled the top and bottom edges of the backing onto 8 ft. MDF boards that are 4" wide. I taped both ends of the pantograph on our long dining room table with painters tape and slid the shallow light box under it. The rolled backing fits over the pantograph and light box and keeps the fabric taut and square, which is so much easier than I was trying to do it without the boards. The only difficulty is moving the light box to advance the design but I just gently lift up one side and slide my fingers under the panto and move it. I hope to figure out a way to attach a ribbon on both sides so I can just pull it from either direction. Ah, the challenges of not having/or wanting a longarm LOL

So here is Rhododendron Trail with a close-up of the crazy print neutrals included. I had to buy some more neutrals but all the remaining fabric is from my stash. It's amazing that from a distance all the prints disappear which appeals to my OCD
nature, ha, ha.
resized-close-up-rhododendron-scrappy-look.jpgresized-rhododendron-trail-top-side-view.jpgresized-rhododendron-trail-hanging-2931.jpg

Last edited by EmiliasNana; 06-13-2022 at 05:31 AM.
Old 06-13-2022, 05:33 AM

resized-panto-set-up.jpg Here is my pantograph tracing set-up to further explain the process if any are interested.
Old 06-13-2022, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

Your quilt is beautiful!
Old 06-13-2022, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

Lovely quilt! Quilters are very resourceful and nifty way to do your quilting!
Old 06-13-2022, 07:04 AM

love it and thanks for the info too.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:08 AM

Great idea for the pantograph. Your quilt is lovely. I pieced mine as the mystery unfolded, until I got to the border. Mine was only about half the blocks and I just finished binding it the other day.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
Great idea for the pantograph. Your quilt is lovely. I pieced mine as the mystery unfolded, until I got to the border. Mine was only about half the blocks and I just finished binding it the other day.
We all look forward to your post on the quiltingboard. It is so fun to see different fabrics of the same pattern.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:30 AM

Wonderful quilt! And I love your idea for the light box, so I have a question, please. Do you draw on the backing or the front piece?
Old 06-13-2022, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana View Post
We all look forward to your post on the quiltingboard. It is so fun to see different fabrics of the same pattern.
Here is my quilt: Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail
Old 06-13-2022, 03:51 PM

What a beautiful quilt. Thank you for sharing.