Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Red that won't run? >

Red that won't run?

Red that won't run?

Old 06-13-2022, 09:24 AM

Default Red that won't run?

I want to make a quilt with red cornerstones, but the colors are somewhat muted, so the red will show if it runs. Is there a brand that you've used that didn't run? Yes, I can pre-wash, but usually doesn't solve the problem.

bkay
Old 06-13-2022, 11:18 AM

It's so hard to know what will bleed and what won't. Some people will say to make sure you buy good quality quilting cotton. But I've had "good quality" Alex Anderson-designed Kaufman fabrics bleed. And I agree with you, pre-washing and using color catchers doesn't usually solve the problem. Do a bleed test on the fabric first to see if it will actually bleed. You can do this by taking a white kitchen towel, dampen a corner of it and rub it on the suspect fabric. If you get any dye on the towel, you will need to treat the fabric before going further.

What I *have* found that fixes bleeders is this technique, used by a quilter named Vickie Welsh who hand-dyes her fabrics. She did a bunch of tests on the best way to fix bleeders and generously typed up this handy little how-to for the rest of us quilters. The best thing about it is you don't have to go hunt down anything special or expensive, you probably have everything you need in your home already.

I have used this method several times with great success, once even on a fully completed quilt.

Last edited by Peckish; 06-13-2022 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-13-2022, 11:53 AM

https://www.dharmatrading.com/chemicals/retayne.html
this was said to be wonderful. I"ve not tried but lots of quilters raved about it.
Old 06-13-2022, 12:49 PM

I washed all my reds for this quilt and then did Retayne with them.
I'm hoping for the best.

Watson
Attached Thumbnails cqabom2019front.jpg  
Old 06-13-2022, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

Looking for a red that doesn’t bleed, is like looking for a flannel that doesn’t pill. Darn near impossible to know in advance. I’ve had expensive reds bleed and inexpensive fabrics be colourfast. You can pretreat, wash and hope for the best.
Old 06-14-2022, 02:49 AM

I have been using a Bella Solid that is red for about three years, multiple purchases, that does not bleed red or pink. You may want to consider that. What color do you ask? There are many options in the Bella red options. At one time it was called colonial red.
Old 06-14-2022, 09:58 AM

I prewash everything, and have more problems with blue bleeding than red (and I love reds, so use them a lot), and way more problems with batiks bleeding after multiple washes.

I have also noticed that some fabric is way more "willing" to accept die. I made one quilt with about 5 different whites, 5 pinks, 5 reds and a constant navy print. Prewashed all, and in the final wash after quilting, that darn Navy is the one that bleed. Turned some of the whites light blue, and some of the pinks to a darker tone, but other fabrics didn't change at all. And it was like ALL of the pieces of white fabric 1 changed, but none of the pieces of white fabric B changed - really interesting. . .

The good part is my son fell in love with the look so it's his now.

Old 06-16-2022, 03:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I prewash everything, and have more problems with blue bleeding than red (and I love reds, so use them a lot), and way more problems with batiks bleeding after multiple washes.

I have also noticed that some fabric is way more "willing" to accept die. I made one quilt with about 5 different whites, 5 pinks, 5 reds and a constant navy print. Prewashed all, and in the final wash after quilting, that darn Navy is the one that bleed. Turned some of the whites light blue, and some of the pinks to a darker tone, but other fabrics didn't change at all. And it was like ALL of the pieces of white fabric 1 changed, but none of the pieces of white fabric B changed - really interesting. . .

The good part is my son fell in love with the look so it's his now.
Bet you could not replicate that look if you tried! I am also happy that your son fell in love with the look.

I have also noticed that some fabrics seem to be "immune/resistant" to stray dye -and other fabrics seem to be dye "magnets".

I think there are some fabrics that are deliberately "prepared for dying" -

Last edited by bearisgray; 06-16-2022 at 03:30 AM.