Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Closing opening on potholders >

Closing opening on potholders

Closing opening on potholders

Old 06-14-2022, 06:33 AM

Default Closing opening on potholders

I have been sewing potholders for several years. Yesterday I put two together but am having a lot of trouble closing the opening that is left for turning inside out. Should I trim batting or cut the batting and insulbrite smaller than the top. Seemed I did not have this problem before. Thank you.
Old 06-14-2022, 10:20 AM

When I make pot holders I put a binding on them like a quilt, instead of turning them and I also put a double layer of batting between the front and backing.

Perhaps you could take the stitching out that you put in to be able to turn them, and put a binding on them instead of turning them.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 06-14-2022 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-14-2022, 10:39 AM

I have used a zipper foot sometimes to close those tricky turning areas. I just move the needle to the left and put the edge of the foot right along the edge of the fold. I think it helps keep the edges turned under.
Oh, and I do trim some of the batting away from the area so I can turn the fabric edges under better.
Old 06-14-2022, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

I usually use binging also. For turning smal projects, I make sure the seam alliances are at 1/4 inch ( or if circles, I trim with linking shears) On squares, I cut off the corner points down to 1/8.
I usually machine sew across the open spot attaching the one side of the fabric to the quilt batt or insulbrite before turning. If you keep the stitching line a little under the 1/4 seam allowance it will be inside and not seen after turning. This makes it so the insulbrite turns under well for closing.
Old 06-14-2022, 11:47 AM

You can pre- iron the seam allowance along the edge. Then turn the potholder. The ironing helps create the fold line to make a nice seam. I also trim batting out of seam allowances.
Old 06-15-2022, 05:48 AM

When I make pot holders I put a seam in the middle of the backing and leave an opening in it for turning. I either hand stitch it closed before quilting or catch the seam in one of the quilting lines.