Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern suggestions needed. >

Pattern suggestions needed.

Pattern suggestions needed.

Old 06-14-2022, 08:56 PM

Default Pattern suggestions needed.

Ladies, I have a piece of fabric ( 1 1/3 yds by American Jane for Moda) that I want to make quilt out of for perhaps a young teenage boy. Been looking at this same fabric for over a year and I'm still stumped for a simple pattern to use. Thought about an offset block, but need to find the right shade of blue for that. I'm probably totally over thinking this ... it can't be this hard to figure out! I'm attatching a photo so you can see what I'm up against. All suggestions welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails img_1456.jpg  
Old 06-15-2022, 12:18 AM

Beautiful fabric, what a fun print. How about something really easy. Narrow orange border, (maybe a second border of aqua or gold) then a wider black border. Sandwich and quilt on the black diagonal black line in the fabric?
Old 06-15-2022, 12:52 AM

Cutting it up too much might make it look dizzy-ing. I like jacqueck's suggestion, keeping it simple and adding borders.
Old 06-15-2022, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

Cute fabric and it would look nice in a Watm Wishes pattern. Use the pattern in the large center square and maybe navy and orange for the accent rectangles.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:30 AM

If you want to cut it up perhaps a Grandmother's Window type option? That will let you pick and choose which colors to pick out from the pattern to compliment the fabric. Here's a link to the pattern: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1081470...4aAreJEALw_wcB
Attached Thumbnails grandmothers-window.jpg  
Old 06-15-2022, 07:09 AM

I like the idea of Grandmother's Window type pattern - you can size the blocks anyway that best suits your focus fabric and easily pull some accent blenders for the appropriate 4-patch blocks.. with this fabric it could be bordered in white or black - lots of options!

I also like the idea of either a larger sized HST or Triangle block quilt where half of each block were maybe white (or black) and the other half this focus fabric plus other blenders. There are so many pleasing layout options with these types of blocks but I kinda like a repetitive block placement. Lots of great options to work with this fabric!

Edited to add: I think this fabric will tone down once cut up and placed with complimentary colors. It's busy but as Bonnie Hunter says if you don''t like it now you just haven't cut it up enough, yet!

Last edited by TheMerkleFamily; 06-15-2022 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-15-2022, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by jacqueck View Post
Beautiful fabric, what a fun print. How about something really easy. Narrow orange border, (maybe a second border of aqua or gold) then a wider black border. Sandwich and quilt on the black diagonal black line in the fabric?
This is such a good cheater fabric that I would do what Jacqueck suggested. Those are good man colors, too. My hubby would have liked it as a quilt. He liked blues, and the turquoise (if it is as blue as it looks on my monitor) he would have called it blue. Turquoise and aqua were not in his vocabulary.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

I like Jacqueck's suggestion. Another option is to use it for the back of the quilt. I think a lot depends on what size you want the quilt to be. If you're looking for another color to make the quilt larger, black might work.