Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New washing machines >

New washing machines

New washing machines

Old 06-27-2022, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

I can't wait till my front loader dies so I can get a Speed Queen. I've heard nothing but raves about them.
My washer works fine but I don't like that I can't soak quilts etc in it. Never thought of it when I bought it. DUH!!!
Old 06-27-2022, 07:43 AM

Default New washing machines

My love affair with Maytag started back in the 1960s. We were attending a summer course in California and I had access to the Maytags. I knew then if I ever replaced my existing GE set it would be with Maytags. Moving to another state gave me the opportunity to get a new washer/dryer combo and I bought Maytags that lasted 30 years and were still going strong when we retired and moved away. Again I bought Maytags -- front loader and loved the set. Washer finally gave out and I replaced it with yet again another Maytag set which is now 14 years old and going strong. I love the front loader and can wash BIG loads and they all come out clean. If I need a replacement? Maytag front loader and matching dryer.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:57 PM

I had to replace my washing machine about a month ago and also bought Speed Queen (commercial variety) and I love it! Fills up with water, has cycles for all the stuff the old machine had. It isn't as quiet as the old machine, but that may be because it's really working! Peace and grace....
Old 06-28-2022, 02:47 AM

My front loader is fine for clothes, and I do pre=wash most batiks and reds/hot pinks because they seem to run the most. But unfortunately, bed-sized quilts need more water to wash without colors running so I take them to the laundromat and use the big washers. This is a drag but I don't do it very often.
Old 07-02-2022, 12:04 PM

This came at the perfect time for me. My 5-year-old front-loader LG quit spinning on me (just a few months after the warranty expired). Up to this point I had really liked the machine - all the bells and whistles. It took over 2 weeks to get a repairman out to look at it. Bad news. The drum bearing went out so the cost of a repair would be nearly $1200 for parts and labor. I asked the repairman which makes he thought had the best reliability. He said Amana on the low end, Maytag in the middle and Speed Queen if I wanted to spend that much. Well, after reading about all you Speed Queen lovers, I purchased one this morning and they could deliver it as soon as Wednesday (which didn't work for me so I'm getting it next Saturday). Thanks everybody for your recommendations.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:39 AM

Speed Queen is the best. It is what the washer repairman recommended. Just got a new one-still learning to use it to the best advantage. But I still like to take my bigger quilts to the laundromat and use a large front loader where there is adequate water and it lifts and drops the quilt instead of agitating it.