Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
In Search of Pfaff Multi Thread / Multi Color Sewing Machine >

In Search of Pfaff Multi Thread / Multi Color Sewing Machine

In Search of Pfaff Multi Thread / Multi Color Sewing Machine

Old 06-28-2022, 08:31 AM

Default In Search of Pfaff Multi Thread / Multi Color Sewing Machine

Hi everyone,

I heard from a friend that Pfaff at one point made a unique sewing machine that allowed you to sew with multiple different colors of thread. E.g. you could sew a stitch with a blue thread, then for your next stitch switch to a red thread. Both of the blue and red spools would be loaded into the machine; you didn't need to swap out the thread spools in order to change colors. I think the machine used multiple different needle bars that could be swapped out automatically through a mechanism on the machine.

I don't know the name of model of this machine but I'm very eager to see if I can find it. If anyone has ever heard of a machine like this, please let me know! Even machines beyond Pfaff would interest me.

Thank you very much!
Old 06-28-2022, 08:36 AM

I'll be watching this thread because my first thought is you're looking for a unicorn. 😜
There *are* machines that are multi-thread; you can actually sew with 2 threads, threaded through 2 needles, at the same time. But they don't take individual stitches. I'm not sure what purpose that would serve?
My longarm dealer is in his late 60's and has been selling and repairing sewing machines since he was 10. Do you have someone in your area like this? I bet he/she might have an answer.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:40 AM

This machine would be for switching between different thread colors between different seams so you wouldn't have to change out the spool to change your color. Definitely a unicorn! I'm poking around trying to figure out if someone smarter than me knows something. I appreciate your reply
Old 06-28-2022, 05:23 PM

I'm having trouble with imagining how such a machine could work. I somehow can't even imagine the mechanics of a machine with two needles, two bobbins and the mechanics that would allow the stitches to alternate.

My guess is that your friend is thinking about a two needle machine with one bobbin and you could, of course, load differently coloured threads in each needle and a third colour in the bobbin. If you used a pattern such as a satin zigzag it may well look like there were alternate coloured stitches.

Your friend might also be thinking of a serger which could easily be set up with multiple coloured threads.

Last edited by 1.41; 06-28-2022 at 05:26 PM.