Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting suggestions? >

quilting suggestions?

quilting suggestions?

Old 07-05-2022, 04:29 PM

Default quilting suggestions?

I made this front and back with mainly scraps and a free charm pack I received from Jinny Beyer as a promotion. I'm having analysis paralysis about how to quilt it. The solid back gives a chance to show off some fancy free motion, but my skills are still emerging in the FM department. I'm decent with a loopy meander or straight lines, but not sure that would be the best choice given the calico vibes. Am I overthinking this? yes....have any suggestions? I hope so....

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails img_0407-copy.jpg   blue-calico-front-large.jpeg  
Old 07-05-2022, 04:31 PM

I"m voting loops rather than straight lines. all the piecing is straight lines so it would soften that. Nice quilt!!
Old 07-05-2022, 05:08 PM

I like loopy meander! I am not the best quilter! I will throw single loops, double loops, and triple loops into my meandering. Sometimes I also put in a heart shaped leaf into the meander making sure to do it in different directions and sizes. I wish I could do feathers, but after trying for several years I have given up on those.
Old 07-05-2022, 05:28 PM
Power Poster

Cute top! I might go with outlining the star and then do a meander with stars spaced between. The 5 point star from grade school is pretty easy to do between travel meanders.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:35 AM

I would do something FM in the star. it's a small enough space you could feel brave to try something different, yet not commit to the whole quilt. if you do something light and flowy in the star I would use straight lines across the rest to give it that contrast. or the opposite, if you do something with straight lines in the stars, then do the loopy meander in the background.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:42 AM

Have you tried a free form wavy line all the way down or all the way across? You can echo the wave at varying intervals for a very nice look.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:16 AM

You've done a great job on your quilt. Figuring out what quilting pattern to use is always an issue with me as well. But, that's such a nice star. You need to focus it and let the rest of the quilt stay in the background. To do that, I'd echo quilt inside the star with some metallic thread. Maybe 3/8" echo will really show it off. Then, I'd just meander the background and be done with it.

You're getting some wonderful suggestions. Can't wait to hear what you choose.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:56 AM

just go for it your skills will improve enjoy
Old 07-06-2022, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
You've done a great job on your quilt. Figuring out what quilting pattern to use is always an issue with me as well. But, that's such a nice star. You need to focus it and let the rest of the quilt stay in the background. To do that, I'd echo quilt inside the star with some metallic thread. Maybe 3/8" echo will really show it off. Then, I'd just meander the background and be done with it.

You're getting some wonderful suggestions. Can't wait to hear what you choose.
I like this idea. I think highlight the star and loopy meander elsewhere.