Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Woven fabrics - Knitted fabrics >

Woven fabrics - Knitted fabrics

Woven fabrics - Knitted fabrics

Old 07-23-2022, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

Default Woven fabrics - Knitted fabrics

Knitted fabrics vary - some stretch only one way - some stretch both ways - some stretch in every direction - some stretch a l-o-o-o-t - and some do not stretch at all.

My suggestion is to sew test samples of any knitted fabric before attempting to assemble the "real" pieces. Sew some crosswise, some lengthwise, and some with one piece "crosswise" and the other "lengthwise"

Once upon a time, I basically thought that a knit was a knit was a knit. Oh, how wrong that idea was.

Even some wovens seem to have more stretch/give in one direction than another. Making test samples with wovens "will not hurt".
Old 07-24-2022, 05:06 AM

Oh how true!! I remember making myself a skirt and jacket from faux suede many many years ago, for a special Christmas party. By the end of the evening, the back of my skirt was 'significantly' longer than the front. Man, how that stuff stretched! The skirt never regained its original shape but I wore that jacket for years. Most comfortable garment I every sewed! Maybe it was the stretch in the fabric
Old 07-24-2022, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

Way back in the 1960's - (anyone else remember the Munsingwear Remnant Room in Minneapolis?) - I was making t-shirts for my boys - and that's when I learned/realized that not all knits are equal.

It's also when I learned how to make a placket so that the child could get his head through the neck opening.

I think that is about the time frame that Stretch and Sew came to my attention. Zigzag machines were still a comparative rarity for h ome sewers back then, so getting instructions on how to sew knits with a straight stitch machine was awesome!!!!

My garments still had sort of a home-made look, but - - - - I was still proud of them.

And then - and then - sergers for home sewers became available! I still have that baby-lock - and in some ways - except for it being a "challenge" - to thread - it is still my preferred serger. (Yes, I do have more than one.)