Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keeping Track of Machine Needle Type >

Keeping Track of Machine Needle Type

Keeping Track of Machine Needle Type

Old 07-25-2022, 03:47 AM
Power Poster

I use the same needle type and size for all my piecing. The only different needles are for decorative stitching or quilting so those needles stay with the thread I use for that. Each thread box has the right size needles for it with the thread. I know exactly what needle I am using by the thread I have on the machine. If i do have a stray needle I toss it.
Old 07-25-2022, 04:03 AM

Color Code Guide for type and size

https://www.schmetzneedles.com/pages...lor-code-chart

Tracker

https://www.schmetzneedles.com/products/mypad
Old 07-25-2022, 01:21 PM

I like the idea from Laura Coia (thanks, OurWorkbench), but most often I leave the needle packet just to the right of my machine, and when I finish that sewing session, whether 15 minutes or 3 hrs., I remove the needle and replace it in the packet. Whether I return an hour later or days later, the packet is still there, but I don't have to wonder what kind of needle I last used.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:54 AM

Laura Coia's idea is a good one if you buy those needle packs with different sized needles. I don't get those. I want one kind for each pack.

My method is one shared by one of my quilting friends. She just puts the needle package next to her machine. Others have mentioned that. But, here's the other thing that helps make knowing what needle to use easier. If I take a needle out of the machine that doesn't need to be thrown away, in other words, it still has some life in it, I will leave a little piece of sewing thread in the needle when I put it in the package. Easy, right? I no longer have issues about what needle is in the machine nor what needles are new or used.
Old 07-28-2022, 03:06 AM

I always use the same type and size needle, so nothing to keep track of. I only piece with my machine, I see no reason to change threads or needle types.
Old 07-28-2022, 05:30 AM

I usually use Schmetz and often the same type/size needle. I do have a wide assortment of their needles but the great thing is they're color coded. I can quickly tell which needle is in any of my machines. Schmetz Color Coded Chart
Old 07-28-2022, 02:45 PM

If you're using Schmetz needles in your machine, each needle has a color band near the top end of the needle - the color identifies the size (and type) of needle. Go to www.SCHMETZneedles.com for a print out sheet of all the various colors & their size & type. It's a one page print out. For instance, the common Universal 80/12 has a red band of color. If only one band of color, it signifies the needle as Universal(no color). Others, like a Topstitch needle, will have a band color of Teal ( for any size of Topstitch needle) & another color band that identifies the size of the needle. The print out chart makes this easy.

Haven't tried this, but try inserting a piece of paper clip, a small wire, or maybe even a toothpick in the slot where you plucked a new needle from. Move it each time you select a new needle.
Old 07-31-2022, 01:35 PM

I got a coaster from my local beverage place. The thick cardboard kind. I stick the needles in the side of the coaster, think wagon wheel style. Then mark on the coaster what the needle is. Works for me and they don’t fall out.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:25 AM

Default Needle Reminders

I have tried so many different ways to keep track of current needle in machine and good used needles. I have an embroidery/sewing machine so I use a lot of different type of needles. To keep track of the needle that is currently in my machine, I use the round disc type below. Turn one for type of needle and turn the other disc for number of needle. The picture has a glare, but shows that I currently have an 80/12 Universal in my machine. If I need to replace a perfectly good needle with another number, then I use the square cushion shown below. Believe me, I have tried masking tape, permanent markers on tomato cushions, etc. This is by far the best way for me. The pictures show rotated, but when pulled up they are correct.
Attached Thumbnails medneedle1.jpg   medneedle2.jpg