Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please be brutal :) >

Please be brutal :)

Please be brutal :)

Old 07-25-2022, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dedemac View Post
Yes, what you did looks great, but I agree with you that taking out the quilting to replace the other points would diminish the piece. I have restored pieces and try to keep as much of the original that can be kept. I also try to get as close to original colors but I want them to know what isn't original for the next generation.
I agree with all this. And this turned out wonderful! What a lovely little piece.
Old 07-26-2022, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Gemm View Post
I think the most important part here is that you have restored something clearly very precious to her in a way that makes it look complete and that did not compromise the work that was already done. <3 I think you have really done a lovely job!
DittoI wouldn't notice the change unless you pointed it out, but any historians will easily be able.to see the repair. Brutal? Nah, I got nuttin'. Nice job
Old 07-26-2022, 05:55 AM

You did a fabulous job!
Old 07-26-2022, 05:52 PM

Very well done. The slight color difference adds to the charm. It accurately reflects the work of two different eras.
Old 07-27-2022, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by PumpkinSundae View Post
Hi. Several days ago I posted this picture of a wall hanging and mentioned that a lady asked me to finish it in some way that it was her grandma's piece. I tried to find a yellow similar but boy it was impossible. I got some great ideas from you all. I want to show you the original and then what I did and please tell me what you think. I am not an expert, and I did tell her that I could not find that yellow but what I used was a tad darker and I went ahead and added it keeping in mind that I could take it out and get it back to the way she gave it to me if need be. She said she liked the yellow and could I do the whole border like that. To be honest, I don't think I could handle that and I would be cutting into the quilted hearts not to mention taking off all of the points her grandma put in.

Before I answer her my question is does the one I did look bad? I will say that I showed it to my brother who didn't see the difference in the two yellows until I showed it to him. It looks a little less dark in person.

Thank you very much.
I like it just the way you have completed it. Only thing needed now is a place to hang it so your friend can enjoy it for years to come and then pass it down to her grand-daughter/son.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:27 AM

I love it and agree that you should not do the whole border thus cutting into the quilting.