Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you know this block >

Do you know this block

Do you know this block

Old 08-02-2022, 06:09 PM

Default Do you know this block

Can someone identify this block for me please?
If so, do you know where I could find the pattern? Thank you
Attached Thumbnails 1296fd3f-0418-4882-a656-df00fc1b8708.jpeg  
Old 08-02-2022, 06:46 PM

It looks like a version of Drunkard's Path, with a four patch in the middle. Unless the two of those together make a pattern with another name??
Old 08-02-2022, 07:04 PM
Power Poster

It’s a vintage or antique pattern but I don’t know the name. Maybe someone else will. It is commonly done in 2 colours. You might find it in the pictures of the large red and white quilt exhibition from some years ago.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:38 PM
Power Poster

It's a Robbing Peter to Pay Paul quilt. This is another example.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
It's a Robbing Peter to Pay Paul quilt. This is another example.
Dunster, your example and my picture look the same, but when I google 'robbing peter to pay paul quilt block' it looks different. The block patterns for that name look like melons are used and our pictures look more like a drunkards path was used. Tell me if I am seeing wrong. I would like to find the block pattern as in your and my picture.

Last edited by toogie; 08-03-2022 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:54 AM

I think it is more of a variation of the Portland Peel or Orange Peel block with the center sharp oval cut smaller (shorter) so that the two squares can be cut from the the ends of the outer pieces.

Example: https://sewcanshe.com/2015-1-31-clas...free-template/

Possibly using these type of templates in the center of a square block. Orange peel templates

Perhaps looking at this can help picture it better, Accuquilt Orange Peel template

Last edited by quiltsfor; 08-03-2022 at 03:02 AM.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by toogie View Post
Dunster, your example and my picture look the same, but when I google 'robbing peter to pay paul quilt block' it looks different. The block patterns for that name look like melons are used and our pictures look more like a drunkards path was used. Tell me if I am seeing wrong. I would like to find the block pattern as in your and my picture.
I don't think of Robbing Peter to Pay Paul as a single block style. I see it as reversing fabrics in parts of the block so that it has the effect of taking a patch from one block and moving it to another.

The shape in the block is a melon (or orange peel). Without the frame, four melons with center points together would be called melon patch. The pictures show how I see the block and quilt construction.
Attached Thumbnails rppp2.jpg   quilt-rppp.jpg  
Old 08-03-2022, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

I see now that I missed coloring in one area of the block. Top right side strip should be red/orange.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:46 AM

Dunster, that's the pattern I have using melon templates but snowballed corners so melon has to be a little smaller. Maybe use layer cakes? Think I just moved this pattern further up on my To Do List.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:48 AM

I am beginning to see it now.
Duster you are real close, but not quite there. With a sashing & cornerstone, it makes a 9 patch in the corners. I think the orange peel melon is smaller. The outer piece should be one piece ( not an extra strip)but they are wide on the ends. The orange peel is also pieced in, not applique on, as someone above suggested. So would this block be called a version of the Robbing Peter to Pay Paul since it has the squares at the corners of the block?
A friend sent me this and asked if I knew the block. I told her no but I’d try to find out from you Quilter’s because you are so knowledgeable. Thank you all for getting us this far. What a great forum!