Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Oven Sweet Potatoes >

Oven Sweet Potatoes

Oven Sweet Potatoes

Old 08-03-2022, 04:45 AM

Default Oven Sweet Potatoes

Hi! This is a recipe from my mom. If you don't have sweet potatoes, you can definitely substitute white potatoes for them. If using white potatoes, you will need more of them than the sweet ones.

3 -5 large orange sweet potatoes

Olive Oil

Canadian Steak Spice or Seasoning

Peel, rinse, and cut up the sweet potatoes into approx. 1/2" cubes. Pour the cubes into a large bowl or pot, add olive oil and steak seasoning. Mix together. Place on a tray lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. If you have more than one tray of potatoes, rotate the trays halfway through the baking time. Remove from oven. Let cool. These are great with fish sandwiches or any type of chicken dish. You can freeze the leftovers.

Regular Oven Potato Recipe

6 -8 regular white or Idaho Baking Potatoes

A couple of Green Sweet Peppers (You can use any color sweet pepper you like)

2 -3 medium Onions

Olive Oil

Canadian Steak Spice or Seasoning

Peel, rinse, and cut up the white potatoes into 1/2" cubes. Place in a large bowl and set aside. Add the sweet pepper that you have rinsed and cut into 1/2" -1" chunk, along with the onions that you have peeled, rinsed, and cut into quarters. Mix the vegetables together, add the olive oil and steak seasoning. Mix well. Place on a tray lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Rotate half through baking time if having more than one tray of potatoes. That way both trays bake evenly. Remove from oven. Let cool. You can make these a head of time and freeze till you want to have them. These are great with eggs, omelette, fish, or chicken.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

I like sweet potatoes. I bake cubes of them a lot. I add cinnamon to the seasoning ingredients.
Old 08-03-2022, 09:28 AM

Good to try Katie Bock recipe! but my favorite one is Garlic Butter Chicken and Potatoes Skillet, 30 minutes total need to take to get this ready.

1. To make the garlic butter chicken with potatoes: In a large bowl, combine the chicken strips with soy sauce, olive oil, pepper, and hot sauce. Set aside to marinate while you cook potatoes.

2. Parboil the potatoes in boiling salted water for 8 minutes. This will accelerate cooking time in the skillet and ensure a nice golden crust on the potatoes.

3. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, mix 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter. When butter is melted, add drained potatoes. Cook potatoes for about 4 minutes, stir and cook an additional 4-5 minutes until potatoes are golden and fork-tender. Transfer sauteed potatoes to a plate and set aside.

4. Keep the same skillet over medium heat and add remaining 2 tablespoons butter, lay the chicken strips in one layer in the skillet, keeping the drained marinade for later. Add garlic and red chili pepper flakes to the chicken. Cook chicken strips on each side for 1 minute each until nicely browned – adjust timing depending on how you like your grilled chicken.

5. Stir in the reserved marinade and cook with chicken until the marinade is cooked. Add the fresh herbs and give a quick stir. Then add the sauteed potatoes back to the pan and heat through. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary.

6. Remove from heat and serve immediately your Garlic Butter Chicken Recipe with sauteed Potatoes, garnished with more crushed chili pepper, fresh herbs, and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese over the Chicken and Potatoes if you like. Enjoy!
Old 08-03-2022, 05:18 PM

I love sweet potatoes, thank you for sharing your recipes, these sound so delicious.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:00 AM

I am a sweet potato fan too. I bake the traditional way in the oven or roast them in cubes as suggested then sprinkle lightly with feta cheese. A simple little pop of flavor beyond salt/pepper/butter which I adore too!
Old 08-04-2022, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

Anyone else see a recipe that has the word immediately in it and think nope not tying this. LOL
Old 08-04-2022, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Anna Embry View Post
Good to try Katie Bock recipe! but my favorite one is Garlic Butter Chicken and Potatoes Skillet, 30 minutes total need to take to get this ready.

1. To make the garlic butter chicken with potatoes: In a large bowl, combine the chicken strips with soy sauce, olive oil, pepper, and hot sauce. Set aside to marinate while you cook potatoes.

2. Parboil the potatoes in boiling salted water for 8 minutes. This will accelerate cooking time in the skillet and ensure a nice golden crust on the potatoes.

3. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, mix 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter. When butter is melted, add drained potatoes. Cook potatoes for about 4 minutes, stir and cook an additional 4-5 minutes until potatoes are golden and fork-tender. Transfer sauteed potatoes to a plate and set aside.

4. Keep the same skillet over medium heat and add remaining 2 tablespoons butter, lay the chicken strips in one layer in the skillet, keeping the drained marinade for later. Add garlic and red chili pepper flakes to the chicken. Cook chicken strips on each side for 1 minute each until nicely browned – adjust timing depending on how you like your grilled chicken.

5. Stir in the reserved marinade and cook with chicken until the marinade is cooked. Add the fresh herbs and give a quick stir. Then add the sauteed potatoes back to the pan and heat through. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary.

6. Remove from heat and serve immediately your Garlic Butter Chicken Recipe with sauteed Potatoes, garnished with more crushed chili pepper, fresh herbs, and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese over the Chicken and Potatoes if you like. Enjoy!
This recipe sounds so good! I will definitely have to try it in the near future.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Anna Embry View Post

I read through this recipe, which sounds delicious, but there seems to be a LOT missing. First of all, measurements for the soy sauce, olive oil, pepper, and hot sauce would be very helpful. Second of all, nowhere does the recipe describe what to do with the potatoes, so as I mentally walk through the preparation, I'm envisioning whole russets? Or at some point are you supposed to slice them, or cut them into cubes? Or are we to use baby potatoes? Very confusing. Third of all, in step 5 it says to add fresh herbs. What herbs??

Last edited by Peckish; 08-04-2022 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Anyone else see a recipe that has the word immediately in it and think nope not tying this. LOL
Yup. Immediately is not in my cooking vocabulary.

One of my favorite sweet potato recipes is simple roasted sweet potatoes. Slice into strips, toss with olive oil salt and a dash of cayenne and cook. Easy and yummy!