Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
2nd & 3rd Quilt Finished for the year >

2nd & 3rd Quilt Finished for the year

2nd & 3rd Quilt Finished for the year

Old 08-10-2022, 05:13 PM

Default 2nd & 3rd Quilt Finished for the year

Finally got these 2 quilts finished and shipped off to the gift recipents. The story behind it is this. I gift quilts to all in my congregation and one lady asked for dark fall colors. Found a kit at one of my not so local fabric stores back in 2017 using these colors so I bought it. She asked for a full size quilt and then once I started on it, she switched asking for a queen size so I pulled fabrics from my stash to accommodate the size different. Only problem was I didn't have enough fabric for the border and since it had been a couple years since I bought the kit, it was by magic that they had any left.....3 fat qtrs is all so I grabbed them. This was after I put myself on the no buying fabric spree too but I decided this wouldn't count.......this time.

Anyway, I got the quilt put together and the lady got sick with pancreas cancer and I knew it would take me too long to get it quilted and gifted to her so I decided to quickly make her a lap size quilt with what scraps of the fabric I had leftover. She died within a week so I didn't make it.

So I put the lap quilt blocks away and hung the queen size quilt up on my TO DO rack. Then a co-worker was traveling from Florida to Alaska and stopped by on his way. Showed him my sewing room and told him about some of my quilt tops with no future homes. He saw this one and said he'd buy it. I told him I'd gift it to him but he could pay the shipping. Then I remembered the lap quilt blocks and asked if he'd want that one too for his shepherd. He said yes so I finally got them both finished almost a year since I last saw him. Shipped them to him today.

The large one is Bonnie Hunter's Delectable Mtn and the doggie quilt is a Jewel Box which I've always wanted to make. Couldn't find the perfect quilting pattern for the Delectable Mtn so I made one using geometric parts and putting them together. Something I've never done before.

I found out when I was photographing these quilts that I had misspelled the dog's name on her quilt label but not on the front of her quilt,......thank God. Hope she doesn't mind my goof. The large quilt came out 100x100 and the doggie quilt came out 60x70..............just under 12 pounds together. I couldn't show the quilting on the backside of the large quilt as the thread and backing were so close in color it didn't show up but Chloe's quilt you can see.
Attached Thumbnails ricks-delectable-mtn.jpg   closeup-ricks-quilt.jpg   chloes-quilt.jpg   backside-chloes-quilt.jpg   chloes-quilt-label.jpg  

Old 08-10-2022, 05:32 PM

Nice quilts. I’m glad you were able to find homes for them.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:47 PM

How wonderful to have someone come by and love your quilts. You are a very nice person to make quilts for so many people.
Old 08-11-2022, 05:26 AM

Beautiful quilts and quilting! I'm sure they'll will be appreciated.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:26 AM

Love both those patterns. Your quilting is impressive :-)
Old 08-11-2022, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

Lovely quilts!
Old 08-11-2022, 11:51 AM

very pretty quilts
Old 08-11-2022, 12:24 PM

Beautiful colors and love the patterns that show them off so well. Your quilting is amazing, you must have a computerized longarm?
Old 08-11-2022, 05:14 PM

EmiliasNana, yes, I have IQ on my Innova as I have hand tremors and can't even stitch a straight line using a ruler. This allows me to continue to enjoy making quilts for others as gifts.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:09 PM

Great quilts and special stories to go with them. Love the quilting!