Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
pickled beet questions >

pickled beet questions

pickled beet questions

Old 08-11-2022, 08:14 PM

Default pickled beet questions

For those of you that can pickled beets, do you prefer white or cider vinegar?
Do you have a ratio of vinegar to water to sugar that you like?
Old 08-12-2022, 04:48 AM

It has been quite a while since I have made beet pickles. My mom's old recipe says 2 cups brown sugar and 2 cups vinegar, no mention of any water. I do think she would have used apple cider vinegar as she seldom used white vinegar as she said cider is stronger. When she used white vinegar, she specified that in the recipe. Cider vinegar was just "vinegar" The only other ingredients are 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3-4 cloves in each pint jar. I just remember they were very good and all of us kids loved them. I do remember boiling the beets, leaving a bit of the top and the root on. Boiling until tender, put in cool water, and the skin would easily slip off. It was a colorful operation with red beet juice everywhere. Our hands would be stained for a few days as I recall.
Old 08-12-2022, 02:54 PM

My mother in law's recipe is the only one I use. 1 cup white sugar, 1 cup PICKLING vinegar , 1 cup water, 1 tbsp. pickling spice. Tie pickling spice into a piece of cheesecloth ( or cheat and pour brine through a sieve before adding to the jars). Bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes. I also put my filled jars in a boiling water bath for about 8 minutes, to seal.

The difference between regular vinegar and pickling vinegar is the acidity. Regular vinegar is about 5% and pickling vinegar is 6-7 %. You can find it in most any grocery store labeled as 'Pickling Vinegar'. I personally, do not like the taste of cider vinegar--it makes food taste 'off' to me.
Old 08-13-2022, 04:18 AM

I have never heard of Pickling vinegar I wonder if we had it state side? Anyway, I think that is what mom said, the white vinegar is not as strong as the cidar. Another thing to look up.
Old 08-13-2022, 04:48 AM

Back from looking up white vs cider vinegar. Interesting read, too much info to write it all down here. Basics I learned is that if you pickle, you need a vinegar with 5-7 percent acidity. Both white and cider can have in that range, read the bottle. White vinegar is made from grains, cider from apples. Cider is generally more expensive. white vinegar is also used for cleaning. Some people like the fruity flavor from cider better but cider will color the pickles a bit. White vinegar is the same as pickling vinegar, but pickling vinegar may also include other types of vinegar. Also, a lot of other vinegars that cannot be used for pickling because not acid enough. industrial vinegar is too acid so cannot be used for pickling.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:31 AM

I always use white vinegar. I guess I’ve never looked at a recipe that used anything different. I just do it the way my relatives did it.
Old 08-13-2022, 08:10 PM

Thank you so much for all your input. I was given a batch of beautiful fresh beets today so will go back to using my old standby recipe that came from my hubby's grandma when we got married. All it called for was "vinegar" and I have tried it both ways with success. I am intrigued by sewingpup's recipe that uses brown sugar. I might have to make just enough brine to make a jar and try it.
Old 08-14-2022, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by SueZQ from MN View Post
Thank you so much for all your input. I was given a batch of beautiful fresh beets today so will go back to using my old standby recipe that came from my hubby's grandma when we got married. All it called for was "vinegar" and I have tried it both ways with success. I am intrigued by sewingpup's recipe that uses brown sugar. I might have to make just enough brine to make a jar and try it.
Well, this does make a sweet pickled beet and us kids would chow them down. Ummm, I remember mom would not let us eat any until it had "pickled" for a couple of weeks. The other sweet types of pickles she made were watermelon, crab apple, bread and butter, and I think the relish was also sweet.