Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Spatchcock chicken >

Spatchcock chicken

Spatchcock chicken

Old 08-16-2022, 05:46 AM

Default Spatchcock chicken

With a kitchen shears I cut on both sides of backbone on a whole chicken & pressed it flat (breast up) on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Rubbed on a homemade seasoning mixture. Arranged vegetables around & popped it in the oven about 90 minutes. I checked with meat thermometer. We got 3 meals from it because it was good sized bird. I make my own broth from vegetable pieces that are normally discarded (celery ends, tough broccoli stems, etc) so I have a plastic bag of that stuff in the freezer at all times. The backbone went in the bucket.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

I roast whole chicken about twice a month. I use it for chicken salad, enchiladas, chicken spaghetti, chicken pot pie and chicken soup. A large whole fresh chicken is inexpensive for the amount of meals I can make with it for my husband and me. I don't make my own broth, I use to but found a brand I like as I don't use broth that much except in soups.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:24 AM

I chop up a whole head of garlic, 4 Tbs butter, 4 Tbs olive oil, 1 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper, 2 tsp salt and 1 tsp each of rosemary, thyme and sage. Mix all together. Rub all over chicken lifting skin at neck to get spices under the skin.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:30 AM

I tried this method with a turkey one year. Didn't go over to well. My son made fun of my flat turkey, named the poor guy Roadkill....lol
Old 08-17-2022, 11:53 PM

I haven't tried this but I'm going to!

For leftover chicken, I chop it up when cool and add it to an on-going freezer bag of the stuff in my freezer. Once I get enough, I make chicken pot pies with it.

Watson
Old 08-18-2022, 03:39 AM

I buy the $5.00 Rotisserie chickens from Sam's club. We can get three meals out of one with out having to deal with raw chicken. It's convenient and not heating up my house is a huge bonus.
Old 08-18-2022, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

I like Ina Gartens recipe for spatchcock chicken. Relatively easy and quite delicious.
Old 08-20-2022, 06:01 AM

Talking Roadkill

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
I tried this method with a turkey one year. Didn't go over to well. My son made fun of my flat turkey, named the poor guy Roadkill....lol
Kids say the darnedest things!

Now I have new dish to serve my kids.... "roadkill".... Now I need a special occasion to serve it.

I used to serve baked stuffed heart (beef) for Valentine's Day and Worms and Spiders (KD and wieners cut crosswise on both ends placed on top and baked) for Halloween.
Old 08-26-2022, 03:18 AM

One more silly meal for you to try. On April 1, I would serve oven baked chicken, mashed potatoes, homemade apple pie, fresh veggie for.... breakfast. Kiddos had lunch at school, but for supper we would have a traditional breakfast of eggs, bacon, toast or waffles for summer. I made them smile and I got to "lighten up" from my normal day and be just a little silly. They still make mention of this goofiness and they are all in their 40's now. Tee-Hee-Hee!

Back to the oven baked chicken and veggies. I have never heard of the term Spatchcock Chicken. Time for an old "bird" to learn something new.