Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
First quilt finished >

First quilt finished

First quilt finished

Old 10-08-2022, 09:21 PM

Default First quilt finished

Here's my fist quilt. The front is the fall log cabin and the back log cabin was from a moda scrap bag (Halloween). I attempted to quilt lines from the center (like sunburst or daisy). The lines are very wavy. It was difficult to see my own markings. Chalk disappeared, frixion pen markings were too fine. On the last quarter of the quilt I used Crayola washable markers. That is my best quiting. Thankfully the marker washed out. I'd appreciate any suggestions on marking my lines to quilt.
Attached Thumbnails 20221006_204647.jpg  

Last edited by Margetoday; 10-08-2022 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Add pictures
Old 10-09-2022, 12:09 AM

very pretty
like the colors
Old 10-09-2022, 12:24 AM

Beautiful quilt and your quilting is wonderful!
Old 10-09-2022, 03:54 AM

I don't have any marking pointers, but I do like your quilt.
Old 10-09-2022, 04:00 AM

When quilting straight lines, I use painter's tape as a guide. It stays on while sewing, then easily pulls off without leaving any marks.
Old 10-09-2022, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Margetoday View Post
Here's my fist quilt. The front is the fall log cabin and the back log cabin was from a moda scrap bag (Halloween). I attempted to quilt lines from the center (like sunburst or daisy). The lines are very wavy. It was difficult to see my own markings. Chalk disappeared, frixion pen markings were too fine. On the last quarter of the quilt I used Crayola washable markers. That is my best quiting. Thankfully the marker washed out. I'd appreciate any suggestions on marking my lines to quilt.
Great job, especially since it is your first! Keep up the good work and enjoy!
Old 10-09-2022, 04:26 AM

Good job on your first quilt.
Old 10-09-2022, 05:10 AM

So brave! Your quilting is very nice! I stitched in the ditch almost exclusively for most quilts. I only recently ventured out in the last couple of years. I have 2 widths of painters tape to space lines. Do Not sew on the tape, unless you enjoy frustration. Also, If your machine has a serpentine stitch, it hides less than perfect stitching.
Old 10-09-2022, 05:29 AM

I think it looks great, including the quilting! I agree with aashley333 - you were very brave to venture so far away from stitched lines for a first project. Way to go, you! I'm still mostly a stitch-in-the-ditch girl unless I turn to hand quilting (rare). I am also interested in seeing everyone's marking tips!
Old 10-09-2022, 05:44 AM

Congratulations and Well Done!

I like the blue marking pens that wash away for marking fabric if the fabric is light enough for it to show up- just be sure to spritz with water to erase the mark before ironing, as the heat will set the marks. If you live in an area with low humidity then you can use the pens with purple disappearing ink to mark your fabric, but here in Virginia I find that they tend to disappear before I'm done quilting, do not iron over the purple marks as they will be set by the heat. You can erase them with water just like the blue ones if you don't have time to wait for them to disappear on their own. For Dark fabrics I use either a piece of soap or a wax pencil (Panda pencil is one) that leaves a whitish mark for darker fabrics or blacks. The mark does a good job of staying in place until you're done quilting and then you just iron it away.

Rob