Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Houston quilt show >

Houston quilt show

Houston quilt show

Old 10-22-2022, 05:04 PM

Default Houston quilt show

I'm taking a trip to the International Quilt Show in Houston. Ive heard it is huge and wonder what to expect. Does anyone have advice for me.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-22-2022, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by dsmith View Post
I'm taking a trip to the International Quilt Show in Houston. Ive heard it is huge and wonder what to expect. Does anyone have advice for me.

Thanks in advance.
I live in Houston and go every year. Wear comfortable shoes. There's miles of walking. Have a small purse that's not heavy to carry. I don't recommend backpacks for money because it's easy for someone to lift your wallet and larger ones are a hassle when getting thru the crowds. There is a package check in the front of the hall. You can check bags there so that you don't have to carry them all day. Be sure to read the rules. There are NO rolling bags allowed on Festival floor. Take your patience pills. There are normally a ton of people and things can get hectic.

If you are staying downtown, it's much easier because you can go to the hotel and rest if you choose. If you're driving in, be prepared for the traffic. Weekday traffic in the area can be horrendous. Weekends are a breeze.

You can buy your tickets online ahead of time. I always do this because it saves time when you get there. Some days the lines are long just to buy tickets to get in.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:06 AM

This is odd advice, but there are often lines at the restrooms. I sometimes go up the escalator to the 2nd or 3rd floor where things are less busy because I would rather walk and keep moving to get there instead of standing in line. You may PM me if you have specific things you are wondering about.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:04 AM

Default Houston

Shopping is easier at the end of the day. I usually bring my own drinks to carry with me or a snack. If you leave out of town you can buy a box to send homeup with goodies. If for some reason you don’t want to take it on the plane. We just leave a lot of room in suitcase for all of our purchases
Old 10-23-2022, 08:26 AM

Im on a bus trip from Iowa and we have extra room for purchases. I use a walking stick if I'm going to do a lot of walking I hope that is allowed. Do you know a site with the rules of what is allowed. Im planning good walking shoes, a note pad to write down what I like and the location then after I do a trip around go back and make purchases so I dont have to carry as much and a refillable water bottle. I do have a bag that keeps unzipping and getting larger maybe I should take that.

The bus will drop us off and we have a 5 and 7 pickup unless the Astro play on Thur then we only have 7. I assume they have food courts there and places to rest. Sounds like it will be a nice chance to meet people from all over.
Old 10-23-2022, 10:41 AM

Everything you need to know is on quilts.com. Walking sticks/walkers/wheel chairs are fine if a bit tough to get thru the crowds in.
Old 10-23-2022, 05:01 PM

If there is something you really want, buy it when you see it. If something "new" ends up being really popular, it can sell out quickly...
And have a great time! I went in 2015 and planned to go in 2020 then Covid hit... maybe I'll get back again soon, just not in 2022....
Old 10-23-2022, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by ElaineCovid View Post
If there is something you really want, buy it when you see it. If something "new" ends up being really popular, it can sell out quickly...
And have a great time! I went in 2015 and planned to go in 2020 then Covid hit... maybe I'll get back again soon, just not in 2022....
I agree with buying it when you see it. Things do sell out, but on the other hand, many vendors will ship it to you free if you pay at Festival or you can find it online. Often at a better price.
Old 10-23-2022, 05:57 PM

I've been several times with my friend Cindi. We kind of split our time up - we spend a couple of hours at the show or at the vendors, then we either go upstairs and sit in a chair for an hour or so, or walk back to our hotel for a couple of hours, then head back to the show. Taking a break helps a lot with fatigue and show overload. Sometimes you see so many quilts you end up forgetting what you've seen already. I don't know if they still have chairs upstairs, the last time I was there they had some comfy ones and I'd sit and read my Kindle for an hour or two. I also brought a backpack for my purchases, never had a single problem with it! I find my backpack is much more comfortable than a shoulder bag.