Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
lipped ruler >

lipped ruler

lipped ruler

Old 11-09-2022, 07:42 AM

Default lipped ruler

I am looking for a short ruler with the lip on the edge. About a 5" x 12" . Do they make them? It would make it easier to trim up small blocks. Or does anyone have a template for trimming up Flying Geese? Thank you.
Old 11-09-2022, 07:57 AM

Bloc Loc has a good one. It has a grove that catches on the seams to hold it in place. I have the full set up to 8". Thankfully I bought them quite a while ago. You can just buy the size you need or get a set. Different sites sell them, so check prices/sales. Bloc Loc Flying Geese Rulers I use Bloc Loc Rulers for a lot of my trimming, they have all different types from half square triangles to log cabin rulers, etc.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 11-09-2022 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-09-2022, 09:10 AM

I love the Bloc Loc rulers for flying geese and squares they make trimming so easy.
Old 11-09-2022, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
Bloc Loc has a good one. It has a grove that catches on the seams to hold it in place. I have the full set up to 8". Thankfully I bought them quite a while ago. You can just buy the size you need or get a set. Different sites sell them, so check prices/sales. Bloc Loc Flying Geese Rulers I use Bloc Loc Rulers for a lot of my trimming, they have all different types from half square triangles to log cabin rulers, etc.

Normally I don't like the waste in cutting oversize and trimming every piece, but I spent a while looking at the Bloc Loc videos and products and am hooked!! I love specialty gadgets, so these rulers/sets are very appealing to me as well as being useful. I'm going to add a number of them to my Christmas Wish list. I especially like that they will work to correct bowed bias and strip set seams. Thanks for the recommendation and link.
Old 11-09-2022, 11:21 AM

It sounds like you're talking about a ruler called "Add-a-Quarter". Mine is only 6" long but they come in 12" as well. There is also an "Add-an-Eighth" ruler. Amazon carries them both but your LQS is more convenient.
Old 11-09-2022, 12:32 PM

The sizes are different, but these rulers have a lip that the rotary cutter "rides in." I have a couple of these True Cut rulers and love them because I feel there's less risk of the cutter sliding across the ruler and into my hand. I bought their rotary cutter too, but they seem to wear out. My NICAPA rotary cutter rides in the ruler track too.

https://truecut.graceframe.com/en/pr...quilting-ruler
Old 11-09-2022, 01:07 PM

add a quarter rulers are great ones. mine is yellow though, this one is pink.
https://thequiltshow.com/shop/notion...plus-12x2-inch
Old 11-09-2022, 03:44 PM

I love the add-a-quarter rulers. I like the Bloc Loc rulers as well, but they're very specific and tend to be spendy.
Old 11-10-2022, 03:54 AM

Bloc-Loc makes the best for flying geese. They come in many different sizes, can be found at most quilt stores and on Amazon.com. I won't make flying geese without one.