Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flat back stitch epp >

Flat back stitch epp

Flat back stitch epp

Old 11-23-2022, 09:59 AM

Default Flat back stitch epp

I was wondering if anyone else uses the flat back stitch method when doing their epp. I found a video on YouTube that shows you how to do it, and after some practice I’m liking the results. Compared to the whip stitch block, the flat back stitches barely show on the other block. I was wondering what stitch you use for epp?

Old 11-23-2022, 10:06 AM

I also use the flat back stitch on my EPP. I learned it from Youtube, too (gotta love Youtube). When I did my scrappy hexie quilt, I tried several different stitches and liked the flat back the best. I'm doing the Smitten quilt now and the flat back stitch is working well with the different shapes.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I also use the flat back stitch on my EPP. I learned it from Youtube, too (gotta love Youtube). When I did my scrappy hexie quilt, I tried several different stitches and liked the flat back the best. I'm doing the Smitten quilt now and the flat back stitch is working well with the different shapes.
I also like how you don't have to bend the papers around to stitch, too. Especially with my honeycomb blocks, it required a lot of twisting and turning with the whip stitch method. I think this is easier on the hands, I know for my mom it's been a real help because she's got bad arthritis in her hands and the whip stitch method and having to bend papers was painful for her.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:28 AM

I just wish I didn't have such a hard time threading those Milliner needles! Mom has a hard time too!
Old 11-23-2022, 10:45 AM

Yes, I like that I don't have to bend the pieces. I think it makes it easier to do and also easier to reuse your papers.

I used embroidery needles because they have a large eye. I've used some of the John James needles that have a small eye (I can't remember which ones they were. My Clover threader is good with them. I'm thankful for that because I'm not sure how I'd ever thread that little eye without them.
Old 11-23-2022, 01:12 PM

If you look at John James needles, the short darner needles have the same length and diameter as the milliner needles, but a longer eye.
Old 11-23-2022, 03:28 PM

I've tried the flat back method and it does make a beautiful stitch, but I found that I prefer the ladder stitch. Seems to go faster for me. I agree the whip stitch always looks sloppy to me. I'm glad you found a technique that you like and that works well for you!
Old 11-23-2022, 07:52 PM

I had never heard of Flat Back Stitch for EPP. So I looked up the YouTube video. https://www.google.com/search?client...id:ZfC9gOdiinU

I prefer the blind stitch (aka the ladder stitch).
Old 11-24-2022, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
What thread do you like to use when doing epp? I use a coats and clark hand quilting thread.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LogCabin82 View Post
What thread do you like to use when doing epp? I use a coats and clark hand quilting thread.
I always thought that "quilting thread" was a lot heavier/thicker than "all-purpose thread"

I used Coats & Clark cotton covered Dual Duty "all-purpose thread" for any hand piecing that I did. It served me well.

That was about 30 years ago, though.

For the record, I used Coats & Clark cotton covered Dual Duty thread for our couch quilts - probably also made over 25 oyears ago. No fabric breakage by any seams. The quilts are wearing out - but the stitching lines are just fine.