Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best thread for Bernina770 QE >

Best thread for Bernina770 QE

Best thread for Bernina770 QE

Old 11-27-2022, 04:30 PM

Default Best thread for Bernina770 QE

Hello,
I recently purchased a Bernina 770 QE and was wondering what thread is the best for this machine? I previously used a Janome that loved Connecting threads cotton thread and the Bernina sews fine with it but it is very linty. The Bernina looks harder to clean inside than my Janome was so I am looking for recommendations. Thanks!!
Old 11-27-2022, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Leahquilts View Post
Hello,
I recently purchased a Bernina 770 QE and was wondering what thread is the best for this machine? I previously used a Janome that loved Connecting threads cotton thread and the Bernina sews fine with it but it is very linty. The Bernina looks harder to clean inside than my Janome was so I am looking for recommendations. Thanks!!
Yep, with the bigger bobbin, it is a bit more of a process to clean that bobbin area out and the needle cutter area. Good thing they have the amination in the help menu. Anyway, I think Bernina uses Mettler poly thread to do the factory calibration of the settings? I can't remember what weight. But you can use many different types of threads in a Bernina. I use a lot of Aurfil 50 cotton, some mettler silk finish cotton 50 weight. Superior So Fine poly 50 weight. As none of this produce excessive lint. I don't like Gutterman as I get a lot of lint with that one but it was cotton, the poly gutterman probably produces less lint. Just buy a spool or two of whatever you want to try. I usually have to order online around here as there are not stores that carry the threads I like.
Old 11-27-2022, 05:43 PM

sewingpup, Thank you so much! The quilt store I go to recommends Aurifil but I was worried that since it's cotton it was linty also. I think my mom used Mettler and loved it. I think I'll try both.
Old 11-28-2022, 06:22 AM

sewingpup, Thank you so much! The quilt store I go to recommends Aurifil but I was worried that since it's cotton it was linty also. I think my mom used Mettler and loved it. I think I'll try both.
These cotton threads will be a bit more linty then the poly but so much better than other cotton threads I have tried. I have been thinking about trying the so Fine for piecing more but I have a good collection of the other threads having bought them whenever I came across a sale.
Old 11-28-2022, 06:46 AM

I've not had a problem with any threads on my Bernina 770QE - 12wt to 100wt, cotton, poly, etc.. I typically use various weights of Aurifil and I really like Masterpiece by Superior Threads for piecing (a 50wt cotton). OMNI 40wt poly by Superior Threads works wonderfully, too. By comparison, your Bernina will require a bit more effort to clean & oil in the bobbin area, regardless of what thread you use.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

I have the same machine and so far ( 3+ years) haven't had trouble with any threads. I mostly use Aurifil but have used many others. One very low lint is Isacord that I use for machine quilting mostly.
As for cleaning, I don't know Janome but I don't find my Bernina hard to clean out. I oil it a lot and don't have a lot of buildup because of that.
I must say it's my very favorite machine and I find I don't want to sew on any of my others anymore.
Old 11-28-2022, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily View Post
I've not had a problem with any threads on my Bernina 770QE - 12wt to 100wt, cotton, poly, etc.. I typically use various weights of Aurifil and I really like Masterpiece by Superior Threads for piecing (a 50wt cotton). OMNI 40wt poly by Superior Threads works wonderfully, too. By comparison, your Bernina will require a bit more effort to clean & oil in the bobbin area, regardless of what thread you use.
Thank you! I do have some omni for my longarm never thought to sew with it.
Old 11-28-2022, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I have the same machine and so far ( 3+ years) haven't had trouble with any threads. I mostly use Aurifil but have used many others. One very low lint is Isacord that I use for machine quilting mostly.
As for cleaning, I don't know Janome but I don't find my Bernina hard to clean out. I oil it a lot and don't have a lot of buildup because of that.
I must say it's my very favorite machine and I find I don't want to sew on any of my others anymore.
Thank you for your reply. It's been a learning curve but not so bad and I am getting more comfortable with it. I oil it and clean it all the time also otherwise it will yell at me LOL Do you have any tips to make the oiling easier? Having to take the bobbin, case and get it back in (the hardest part for me) is a pain.
Old 11-28-2022, 02:59 PM
Power Poster

Thank you for your reply. It's been a learning curve but not so bad and I am getting more comfortable with it. I oil it and clean it all the time also otherwise it will yell at me LOL Do you have any tips to make the oiling easier? Having to take the bobbin, case and get it back in (the hardest part for me) is a pain.
I really don't have any advice but I have found that with practice it's easy. At first I had trouble getting the bobbin assembly part, can't think of what it's called!) in but I no longer do. It's magnetic so just make sure the little circles are lined up and it goes right in place. Yes, mine yells at me too ! haha
Old 11-28-2022, 04:07 PM

I have often thought the best way to do those pesty tasks is to just pick a time and do it over, and over, and over, and over, etc until you can do it in your sleep when your eyes are shut. I struggled with getting the long arm bobbin back in as I don't bend over and stick my head under the table easily. Now, it is a breeze, I don't even look when putting the bobbin back in and I just make sure I hear the "click". On my serger, I got tired of having to pull out the manual and review all the steps every time I needed to rethread it, so I just keep pulling out all the thread and rethreading it over and over one day. It works! I haven't reached this level of competence yet with my Bernina. It usually takes a couple of tries to get that magnetic bobbin case to snap back into place and when I hit the sweet spot, it goes in so easily! I just haven't figured out how to hit that sweet spot all the time. There are videos on you tube also with a few different techniques.