Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
100% cotton with flannel? >

100% cotton with flannel?

100% cotton with flannel?

Old 12-11-2022, 08:42 AM

Default 100% cotton with flannel?

Have you ever mixed flannel with cotton when making a quilt? Have lots of flannel squares and would like to combine them with cotton. Would be a cute quilt for Project Linus.Would this mix be durable?
Old 12-11-2022, 09:38 AM

If everything has been preshrunk, the only drawback I see is the possibility of 1/4 inch flannel seams unravelling. But you could get around that by shortening your stitch length or even double sewing your seams.

If the flannel has not been preshrunk, I would not combine with cotton because the flannel will definitely shrink more than the cotton when washed.
Old 12-11-2022, 10:05 AM

I agree, the flannel usually shrinks significantly more than quilting cotton. I have used up scrap flannel by making 6.5 inch square blocks no matter how many pieces I have to use in them to get them that. I mix them up in the layout. So I might have 9 patches, 4 patches, rail fence, and even crumb blocks. Then if I have large enough flannel scrapes I just lay them out with a one piece 6.5 inch block. If I don't have enough or large enough fabric. I just buy yardage of flannel and cut it into 6.5 inch squares and maybe even use it as a border. Have fun.
Old 12-11-2022, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

Just about anything made of cotton shrinks "some"

The question is, just how much shrinkage is "tolerable" for you?

Old 12-12-2022, 07:37 AM

I've made several quilts combining cotton and flannel. I've used a 3/8 in. seam allowance. Of course, this might not work out for a complex quilt pattern, but mine are usually a combination of plain squares and four-patches, or plain squares and HST's. Both cotton and flannel were pre-washed, and I've never had different rates of shrinkage when washing the finished quilt. I love having that extra little bit of seam allowance when pressing.
Old 12-12-2022, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

I made two quilts out of flannel and chenille. I washed them both first and it all came out fine. Very linty process!
Old 12-14-2022, 07:35 PM

I do this on all the baby quilts I make. I sew the raw
ends so when I wash the in hot water to shrink they don't ravel.
Old 12-15-2022, 05:02 AM

Found leftover flannel from pajama pants made for the grandsons years ago. I got 18 blocks (8”) so will pair with something to make a charity quilt. The flannel was remarkable - tightly woven and good weight. That quality has disappeared.