Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
light for sewing >

light for sewing

light for sewing

Old 12-12-2022, 05:41 PM

Default light for sewing

I have a light on stand is it best the light be behind the machine or behind me????? I seem to have trouble seeing I am getting older so that is to be expected.
Old 12-12-2022, 09:31 PM

Where are you sewing? I have a sewing room and I put the day light bulbs in the overhead fixture. My sewing machine is a Janome MC6600P, and I bought the LED bulb and put it in. At first it was rather bright, but loved it immediately. Then I went to IKEA and bought a floor lamp for $20.00 (they are $25.00 now) and it sits to the right of the machine. The neck of the lamp is flexible and I move it to where I need the light.
I am now 68, but started changing the bulbs about 5 years ago. The yellow tinted lights drive me crazy - it alters the colors of fabric, and I am not sure if my glasses are just dirty or if it's the light.
Old 12-13-2022, 03:39 AM

I, too, have a floor lamp that I put to the right of my machine. I find it helps tremendously. My machine sits in front of a window which is also good but the floor lamp still helps quite a bit.
Old 12-13-2022, 04:33 AM

I have directional floor lamps (3 lights on a pole). I have the one for my sewing station just off to the right side, slightly in front of my sewing machine, with 2 of the lights facing down in slightly different positions on my sewing area and the third light facing directly onto where my machine foot is. They are positioned so that I'm not getting glare from the bulbs. And also the pole that holds them is out of the way of my fabric as it goes through the machine, so it doesn't get in the way of my quilting. I also have a small table lamp sitting on the left side of my machine. It seems to help to prevent glare from the pole lights, by fusing the light over a larger area.

In experimenting with light placement I found that a light behind me caused shadows over my sewing area. I find that even in the day time, I like to have my all my sewing station lights on when I am sewing to prevent eyestrain.

My advice would be to move your light into different areas/positions and do a practice sewing of a few inches and see where the light suits you better for seeing. All of our eyesight is different, as are our vision comfort levels. Experiment and find the best placement for you. It is also possible that different days/light will need an adjustment in light placement as well. Do what works for you.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 12-13-2022 at 04:44 AM.
Old 12-13-2022, 05:11 AM

6fcf326f-6664-4ef0-802d-d26385b3d34a.jpeg
‘This grouping is under the room light. But the 2 machines is a pole, they’re lights. The bend and turn so the led strip can be directed. To the left is design wall. Lights can be turned toward them. To the right is window.

Home Depot has stick on mount, battery powered, remote control, led. I’m still researching. Thinking of putting in 4, 1 on ceiling toward each corner of room.