Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another batting question >

Another batting question

Another batting question

Old 12-22-2022, 10:37 AM

Default Another batting question

I have been looking at a lot of battings and can't settle on anything. The issue I have with most are they are so thin. I'm looking for something that has maybe a 1/2 in loft? I like heavier weights too. Would I be better off using a combination of two? I was looking at quilter's dream, but they don't actually say how high their lofts are. Can anyone give me some suggestions?
Old 12-22-2022, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

You might try Warm and Plush from the Warm Company.
Old 12-22-2022, 11:09 AM

If you call Quilters Dream, they will send you a card with samples of their battings. There are 4 different lofts 1 (Request) being the thinnest and 4 (Supreme) the thickest. I made a lap quilt using 3 (Deluxe) and it made a weighty difference.
Old 12-22-2022, 02:25 PM

Do you want the weight or warmth?
Old 12-22-2022, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Do you want the weight or warmth?
I do like some weight to my quilts. I've tried warm and natural, and had some Quilters Dream select delivered today, and I don't think that's going to do it.
Old 12-22-2022, 04:51 PM

Are you planning on quilting it yourself? Are you doing the quilting by hand or machine? Some battings that are thicker are meant to by tied not quilted by machine so make sure you look at that when buying batting. Thick batting can be tricky to quilt on by machine and if long arming, you may actually have to make adjustments to the height of your foot. If you are going to send your top out to be quilted by someone else, I would discuss it with them, as they would know their machines and what battings work well.
Old 12-22-2022, 05:19 PM

Check out Marshall’s Dry Goods. Go to the wholesale site to see the batting. They give the ozs of their poly battings. They have poly batting that is as high as 8oz and 13oz. I have been using it for several years. Good quality and comes in bulk rolls and many widths.
Old 12-22-2022, 05:28 PM

I love my Winline Comfort Blend 80/20! They also make a double-thick 80/20 (I think it's 6 oz.), but it's hard to find. So I just use 2 layers of the regular 80/20 and it's pretty great!

Of course, if I put minky on the back, 1 layer is enough.
Old 12-22-2022, 06:15 PM

I assume you're having it quilted or doing it yourself by machine? If you're planning on quilting by hand, I'd advise against using a thicker batt for that. My daughter loves weight in a quilt, so I used a double batt for the one I made for her. I hand quilted it and vowed never again!
Old 12-22-2022, 09:00 PM

Denim is super heavy. Maybe use for back of quilt. Wool batts are heavy.