Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Leather patcher - not exactly “vintage” >

Leather patcher - not exactly “vintage”

Leather patcher - not exactly “vintage”

Old 01-01-2023, 07:25 AM

Default Leather patcher - not exactly “vintage”

I don’t sew thick leather often, but it would be noce to have a machine that can handle it when I do have the need.

A Singer 29 would be nice, but rhe prices are just way too high for an infrequent use machine.

So what to do? There is the “Chinese” special:

looks pretty crude (and it is), but it seems to get the job done. 150 bucks delivered is also a good incentivizer.

Its not “vintage”, but it sure looks the part.

I figured I’d order one and add bushings/bearing where appropriate to smooth it out and then just atone and polish the rest of the working bits.

Then I saw this:

https://youtu.be/__rSP5_5xYk

https://youtu.be/ar1MlO83qiI

gent took the raw casting and basically “re-engineered” the working parts. The brass bits are a nice touch also.

Being a home machinist with a lathe and mill, my plan is to put it together first and get it stitching. Once I know it will at least stitch, I’ll blow it apart and remanufacture it to a much higher standard, like the gent in the vids did.

So technically, not vintage. But it will certainly look vintage and it should function fine for the occasional heavy leatherwork I find myself needing to do. .
Old 01-02-2023, 06:22 AM

Good luck with your project. I admire people on this list that refurbish machines.
Old 01-04-2023, 07:30 AM

Fascinating! Good luck with your venture. (I have a friend who is mechanical like that. He's always fixing or creating something.)

bkay