Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jelly Roll Quilt Help >

Jelly Roll Quilt Help

Jelly Roll Quilt Help

Old 01-02-2023, 12:21 PM

Default Jelly Roll Quilt Help

I am wanting to make a small jelly roll quilt for a wall hanging. Because I am new to this I can't figure out how many strips I am going to need. I was thinking 9 blocks @ 14 1/2 " block. Is there somewhere that tells me how many strips I need? Both light and dark. Thank you
Old 01-02-2023, 02:08 PM
Gay

Your question leaves much to interpret. Do you have any patterns, or just want a very basic 14.5in strips joined together? If the latter, then you will need 7 x 14.5in strips for each block, times 9 blocks = 63 strips cut 14.5ins. You will probably only get to cut two from each jelly roll strip. You could also cut strips into three, join different colors end to end, then cut the 14.5in strips to make your block, would add a bit more character.
Old 01-02-2023, 06:02 PM

Jelly Roll strips are 40 to 42" each.

Each jelly roll is 2.5" x 40 - 42" depending of what you purchased.

Below is figuring a jelly roll strip of 40"

If you want to make a block 14.5" square then: do you want the 14.5 to be the unfinished size?

If you do, then for the block you will need to cut seven 14.5" long strips from the Jelly rolls fabric -- if you take a jelly roll strip that starts out at 40" then you will get Two 14.5 strips from each jelly roll with 11" left over from the jelly roll strip.

You want a total of 9 blocks - so you would need 7x9 = 126 strips of 14.5. Then 126 divided by 2 strips per jelly roll strip -- you would need as Gay stated above 63 full jelly roll strips. Less if you sew some of the 11" left over together and cut them down to 14.5"

Note that blocks will have more than one of the same strips in them as you are only making 9 blocks. Unless you have multiple jelly roll strips to be able to pick and choose.

This is all with an unfinished block of 14.5" which will basically be a 14" block when finished.

If you want the 14.5 Block to be your finished block then you will need to cut your strips to 15" - you would still only need 63 jelly roll strips with 10" left over from each strip, but the 15" will figure in the finished seam allowances when you sew your blocks together and add binding/border etc. to give you a 14.5 finished block size.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 01-02-2023 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-02-2023, 09:15 PM
Power Poster

I think we're agreed that if you're just sewing jelly roll strips together you need 7 strips to give you an unfinished width of 14.5" But there I have to disagree with the math from above. You need a total of 9x7=63 strips (not 126), but they are only 14.5" wide. Each jelly roll strip will give you two of these strips, so you only need 32 strips. You will be using only 14.5" from one of the strips. And as others said, you could use fewer if you piece the remaining fabric from each WOF strip.
Old 01-03-2023, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I think we're agreed that if you're just sewing jelly roll strips together you need 7 strips to give you an unfinished width of 14.5" But there I have to disagree with the math from above. You need a total of 9x7=63 strips (not 126), but they are only 14.5" wide. Each jelly roll strip will give you two of these strips, so you only need 32 strips. You will be using only 14.5" from one of the strips. And as others said, you could use fewer if you piece the remaining fabric from each WOF strip.
That's what I get when I do math in the middle of the night! Should have divided instead of multiplying!
Old 01-03-2023, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
see above... message went in twice.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 01-03-2023 at 04:18 AM.