Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinterest Mystery Quilt block >

Pinterest Mystery Quilt block

Pinterest Mystery Quilt block

Old 01-02-2023, 12:22 PM

Question Pinterest Mystery Quilt block

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a5/ca...57f368ad71.jpg

Hello Quilting Friends, I am new to this forum - I hope to help others as well as ask for help as I am today: I am a veteran quilter and have quilted many different styles of quilting. I came across the pinterest photo in the link above yesterday. I have stared at it for some time trying to determine how this is done. There doesn't appear to be related information about this design other than this link I also found:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/384283780717331186/

My question is... since these sections are folded, rather than sewn, how is this assembled exactly? Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-02-2023, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

I believe the technique is called Manx quilting. There's a YouTube video here.
Old 01-02-2023, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by MamiePearl View Post
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a5/ca...57f368ad71.jpg

Hello Quilting Friends, I am new to this forum - I hope to help others as well as ask for help as I am today: I am a veteran quilter and have quilted many different styles of quilting. I came across the pinterest photo in the link above yesterday. I have stared at it for some time trying to determine how this is done. There doesn't appear to be related information about this design other than this link I also found:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/384283780717331186/

My question is... since these sections are folded, rather than sewn, how is this assembled exactly? Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.
anytime I look at Pinterest, I slide right into that rabbit hole. Glorious quilts. I choose to keep humbly making my quilts that I love 💕.
Old 01-02-2023, 04:13 PM

Dubstep, this looks like a good project. Thanks
Old 01-03-2023, 04:10 AM

Interesting and not hard to see that this is a form of crumb piecing... or some may know this as crazy quilting. Start with the middle and add tiny crumb pieces going around and around as the diagram shows. Remember to trim the backside seams to 1/4 inch and press the seams towards the outside edge before adding another crumb. You will need a hexigon template for the finished size. I believe this one is then joined with triangles to make rows. I may have to try this one...should be interesting.
Old 01-03-2023, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I believe the technique is called Manx quilting. There's a YouTube video here.
Brilliant, Dunster! This is it. I watched several videos about Manx quilting - and now I must make something using this technique! Thanks so much for your input, friends. I will be sure to post pictures of my blocks and project. I wish you a wonderful day with many blessings. Peace.
Old 01-03-2023, 10:34 AM

Before I loose the excitement of this new shiny object, I’ll give it a go. I see another UFO on the horizon. This is how they get produced in my house. But as someone said, ‘neat people don’t make the discoveries I do.’ Now, I could go down a different rabbit hole with that statement.
Old 01-08-2023, 11:43 AM

Looks like a paper piece pattern. Starts with 1 and you add as you go.
Old 01-09-2023, 05:10 AM

Not a Manx. I've made several quilts with the Manx method and love the method. Not crumb, I've done that too. This pattern is a Foundation Paper Pieced design. The foundation is paper, not fabric. Foundation paper pieced is used to differentiate from English paper piecing. Have fun with all the types mentioned.
Old 01-09-2023, 05:13 AM

Amend my earlier post as I looked at the second attachment. Still not a Manx but done in a similar method. How interesting. Now I've fall down the rabbit hole and will have to try this one. :-)