Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Woud we still? >

Woud we still?

Woud we still?

Old 01-05-2023, 06:14 AM

I can still remember my 1st attempt at making a quilt back in the 90's. Had no idea how to go about it but just jumped right in. Bought solid fabrics, designed my own pattern (big mistake), started cutting out all the pieces using hand scissors as I know I didn't own a rotary cutter back then, were they even around then? Anyway, once I got started sewing the pieces together, I realized I didn't take into account 1/4" seams or that HSTs are a totally different beast, etc. Too many problems so I tossed it to the side and later tossed it into the trash can. The fabric was probably not even a good quality quilting fabric either, stiff, plain, etc. I now rarely ever buy solids but go to blenders instead as they add a bit of texture without taking away from the pattern.

If rotary cutters, cutting mats, rulers, etc hadn't been invented...............I doubt if I would have ever gotten started making quilts. Now I'm hooked, line and sinker.

Back before 2018, if I saw a fabric that tweaked my interest, I'd buy it not even having a plan how I'd use it. Since then I've put myself on a fabric "NO BUY" until I can actually put all my fabrics up on the shelves. I still have partial bolts in tubs under the quilt frame so I have a ways to go before that will ever happen. Plus I'm still working on my 2019 goals so again, it will be awhile before I even think about buying fabrics. Yes, I can go into a fabric store, check out all the luscious fabrics and walk out with nothing in my hands.............yes, it's hard but I do it as I have no where to put it even if I did buy it.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

I've been thinking about this question ever since it was posted, and the answer is - I don't know. I didn't start quilting until 2006, long after I retired. I was looking for a hobby, because I was bored, and wanted to find out if I had an ounce of creativity in my body. I bought a book from Singer to find out how to get started, including what tools I would need, and then went to the local JoAnn's to buy them. On that trip I met two ladies from a neighboring town and they invited me to join the quilting guild and the weekly sewing group. I do think that without that group of ladies and their generosity in welcoming and teaching a newcomer I wouldn't have become a quilter.
Old 01-05-2023, 12:55 PM

I started quilting before all the bells and whistles. I remember finding a box of precut squares at Woolworths - they were 4 inch squares and made a patchwork quilt large enough for Queen size bed and still had a lot left. I think it cost $5.00 and I was in heaven. Even though the fabric wasn't the best - I didn't have to cut it. Obviously it was something that was done to remnants. My friend and I did applique and we thought the idea of using freezer paper was genius. They did have templates you could buy to draw around when I started in the late 70's, so I made a Grand Mother's Flower garden. But mostly I embroidered squares for baby quilts and then sashed them together.