Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Doggy Quilt from Orphan Blocks & Scraps >

Doggy Quilt from Orphan Blocks & Scraps

Doggy Quilt from Orphan Blocks & Scraps

Old 01-03-2023, 05:40 AM

Default Doggy Quilt from Orphan Blocks & Scraps

Well, a week ago I decided to make a quilt for my friend's new Austrailian Cow Dog who we find is afraid of cows. Wonder why she ended up at the animal shelter???? Anyway, she went to their local prison where there is a program for the prisoners can cut their stay down by helping to train these shelter dogs. The training is 5 weeks long. She's also given all her shots, fixed and chipped. She's now with my friend and they're getting used to each other and learning the rules of the house as well as to each other.

Anyway, I made him a quilt years ago in browns, blues and creams....disappearing nine patch and made a little quilt using his scraps for his kitty, Highway who has since passed on mysteriously.

I searched for the scraps, orphan blocks, cutoffs (diagonal cuts from borders and sashes) and long strips I keep hung up. Found 8 orphan blocks from Bonnie Hunter's Smith Mtn pattern I made a couple back in 2017 plus all the sections for another of the blocks so there's 9 blocks. I took these blocks into EQ8 to see what I could come up with and decided I needed 12 blocks total plus a bunch of little 3" blocks to go around it with sashing between. I used quite a bit of the cutoffs and only had to pull a few scraps to add plus lots of the cream long strips to make the 3 large blocks and 3" blocks. Only used yardage for the border and binding which is now a scrap and a striped fabric for one of the sashings as I had used it on the BH pattern. Got it done Saturday night at 6pm but it still needs quilted. I have an idea how I'm going to quilt it too. Cowgirl's initials will be on the 4 corners of the 3" blocks and I searched thru my patterns for an E2E and found one related to dogs. Now to see if I can find a scrap backing to go with it.

Here's what it came out to be.........46 x 57 so large enough for her to cuddle up to.

For weeks now I haven't been able to add any photos on this site. My photo is the correct size and format so does any one have suggestions what the problem is?

Attached Thumbnails cowgirl-2.jpg  
Old 01-03-2023, 05:40 AM

Oh, funny it said it wasn't attached but yet it is. Oh well.
Old 01-03-2023, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

Wow, a beautiful quilt for a dog!
Old 01-03-2023, 07:37 AM

Wonderful Quilt. Great use of the leftovers. I really like the border! Cutie dog is going to be very comfy.
Old 01-03-2023, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

Great quilt and congratulations on your picture post!
Old 01-03-2023, 09:39 AM

Such a pretty quilt! I find that Australian shepherds and cow dogs are often very shy and need a lot of help to not be scared of things. I've had a couple scaredy dogs myself. They were the sweetest things, just a bit wary of anything strange. I'm sure she'll love the quilt.
Old 01-03-2023, 05:57 PM

This is a beautiful quilt, and so creative. I love it, and I'm sure that your friends cow dog will too! Great job.
Old 01-04-2023, 12:09 PM

Great quilt and wonderful use of scraps!
Old 01-05-2023, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

That's gorgeous! Your piecing skills are admirable. Well done!!!!!!