Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HST seam question >

HST seam question

HST seam question

Old 01-08-2023, 05:59 AM

Default HST seam question

HSTs are probably my most challenging quilting feature. So, of course, I'm working on a quilt with a bunch of HSTs. I've made the HSTs but now I have to sew 8 of them together to make my 4" x 4" blocks. That's a lot of seams coming together and I'm concerned about the bulk.

The pattern says to press the seams to the dark side. All the HSTs are a dark and a light. I'm thinking I would reduce a lot of bulk if I press the seams open.

What do you think I should do? Or, what do you do in this case? I really want these center points to come together nicely.
Old 01-08-2023, 06:10 AM

I press my seams open all the time. The only exception is, usually, if I'm paper piecing. I have no issues with seam separation and my blocks are nice and flat. I also find it far easier to accurately match points when pressing seams open.
Old 01-08-2023, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Can you still press to the dark but spin the seam allowances in a circle in the centre? If not then pressing the seams open on a 4 inch block should work.
Old 01-08-2023, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Can you still press to the dark but spin the seam allowances in a circle in the centre? If not then pressing the seams open on a 4 inch block should work.

Ditto! I use these two techniques as needed. I don't like pressing seams open but it certainly reduces the bulk and makes it easier to match the seams/points because you can see them. Try them both on your blocks and see what works best for you and the block you are making.
Old 01-08-2023, 06:54 AM

I press my seams open alot of the time, I just make sure to backstitch to keep the seam from popping open.
Old 01-08-2023, 08:16 AM

I press toward the dark. Then I can "nest" the seam allowances and get my points to match almost perfectly. Then I spin the seam allowance at the center.
Old 01-08-2023, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

I tried using a hair flat iron when pressing hst open. It worked great and much faster then using my fingers and an iron. If you have one give it a try. I kept in in a mug by my machine.
Old 01-08-2023, 08:28 AM

I press my seams open 99.99% of the time, be sure to shorten your stitch length and starch is your friend.
Old 01-08-2023, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I tried using a hair flat iron when pressing hst open. It worked great and much faster then using my fingers and an iron. If you have one give it a try. I kept in in a mug by my machine.
I'm going to try this. I often press seams open to reduce bulk and make seam matching easier, this would be awesome. Do you press the seams flat first with the flat iron?
Old 01-08-2023, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

I'm going to try this. I often press seams open to reduce bulk and make seam matching easier, this would be awesome. Do you press the seams flat first with the flat iron?

I use to but not anymore..I couldn't tell any difference.