I Spy Quilts

I Spy Quilts

Old 01-10-2023, 02:51 PM

Default I Spy Quilts

My Newest Quilt Trial.

What are your I Spy's?
Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg  
Old 01-10-2023, 03:01 PM

So are you keeping it together or cutting it up for your quilt?
Old 01-10-2023, 04:37 PM

I'm thinking both at this point. It is 22-inch wide with 2 panels across the 44-inch wide fabric. Also when she cut the panel she did not cut it so there was a complete panel. She cut the heads off of several animals. So I can use those to see what is the best way. Either way I'll be able to make 10-12 youth quilts.
Old 01-10-2023, 06:40 PM

I am looking forward to seeing the quilts!
Old 01-11-2023, 01:15 AM

Great panel for I spy. Can I ask the manufacturer please? I make Project Linus Quilts and know they would be appreciated.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:30 AM

I bought that panel at Hobby Lobby. It's difficult to use because of the spacing. They didn't leave enough space between in the printing to get a complete panel and a seam without cutting off something. Mine is still in the stash.
bkay
Old 01-11-2023, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I bought that panel at Hobby Lobby. It's difficult to use because of the spacing. They didn't leave enough space between in the printing to get a complete panel and a seam without cutting off something. Mine is still in the stash.
bkay
Very true. I bought the left over fabric on the bolt and either way it goes something will be cut off. I am thinking I will go ahead a sacrifice some of the critters and make as many as I can with the individual blocks by turning it under to get each animal on the quilt. The other option is making a panel for the quilt backing with 2 sections so I get everything on the quilt.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes the best solution is just to use the panel as a whole, add borders and quilting, and call it a day.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:07 AM

I've made a mini eye spy. It's just 22 inches square. It's for the Ikea Doll bed here at my house. It has close to 100 things to find on it. I'm thinking about adding a bit to the bottom. But, not sure yet. It is in the thinking stage still. I would applique to it. They are fun. All the squares were 2.5" and leftover from a prior 16 patch quilt. Keep in mind, this is a doll quilt or a drag around quilt. I did use 2D items on it like applique and buttons. I also see now that one square that has hangers on it is very very light. I probably need to embroider a little on it. I didn't notice it till I took the photo.
Attached Thumbnails mini-eye-spy-1.jpg  

Last edited by Judith1005; 01-12-2023 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-12-2023, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
Great panel for I spy. Can I ask the manufacturer please? I make Project Linus Quilts and know they would be appreciated.
The fabric is called "abc with me" De Leon Design Group * The Alexander Henry Fabrics Collection c 2013.

----------------------------

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Sometimes the best solution is just to use the panel as a whole, add borders and quilting, and call it a day.
Some will be just plain panels.

-----------------------------
Today (1/12/2023) I went to the heart doctor—yearly stuff only and a lady was there with her scissors, embroidery floss, needle package and then fabric. It was all horses on a darker brown background. It’s beautiful with its tan back and borders. NO frame just being tied off. Of course, I asked about it and she said that it is a Prayer Quilt for nursing homes. I immediately thought that I could also do several of these into prayer quilts for the kids in a hospital. We talked for almost 45 minutes.