Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with mystery pattern please! >

Help with mystery pattern please!

Help with mystery pattern please!

Old 01-25-2023, 01:39 PM

Default Help with mystery pattern please!

Hi

The pattern isn't quite a mystery. It is called Zygocactus, A chevron Log cabin variation. Designed by Myrna Allen in 1986. I bought this pattern ages ago and it has been aging nicely in my stash. Finally opened it up to use it and all I have is the cover folder. No instructions or anything inside. Inside the back cover it tells the fabric requirements and finished sizes but the cutting and assembling instructions are missing.

For the lap size, 60 x 72, there are 32 blocks.

The picture on the cover is very small so I can't see how the stems on the flowers are done. I'll try to attach a picture I found on the internet.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions how I can make this? I don't have the talent to try to figure it out.

Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails zygocactus-quilt-96-x-112-.jpeg  
Old 01-25-2023, 02:37 PM

It looks like there is a square in the corner. And then snowball the corners on the black strips
Old 01-25-2023, 03:31 PM

Does this look like the same block? It's called Tennessee Tulip:
https://www.quiltfabrication.com/202...see-tulip.html

This particular block finishes at 12 inches, so it would be a bit too big to fit your 62x70 inch / 32 block lap quilt.

I think.

That picture shows more than 32 blocks....it shows 40
wait...
never mind....not the same tulip block anyway....yours has more points than this one.

edit: it's also called a double tulip like this one, but this one doesn't have that cute stem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt61waJkzWI

It's also called a lily, and a carolina lily and a prairie lily...oh boy

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 01-25-2023 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-25-2023, 03:40 PM

That is a very pretty block. I am sure someone here will pull our their EQ software and draft it for you. It reminds me of the center of Quilterscache Desert Flower block. With the dark background fabric, it would look lovely in jewel tones.
Old 01-25-2023, 03:57 PM

Your Zytocactus pattern is available on etsy, here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/304775074694

This pattern looks like your picture, but with 36 blocks - not the 32 block quilt you described...

Can't tell if it is exactly what you already have (fabric requirements withou.t instructions) or not though.

If yours is the same, it looks pretty straight forward...just rows of squares and half square triangles. Make 8 rows of 4 tulips instead of 9 to get 32 blocks. It looks like a 9x9 squares grid, with a sashing on 2 sides of the block that is half the size of the other squares.
Haven't done the math yet...

If each square in the grid represents 1inch, and the block finishes at 9.5 inches, then add your 1/4 inch seam allowance to each square, times 4 per row, times 8 rows, plus border width...

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 01-25-2023 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:14 PM

I believe this is the one. If you arrow over to extra views it lists 32 blocks for the size she quoted. It looks to me like it gives yardage and directions for completing the quilt. Sure would be worth a try to order. I think it is what you need.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:18 PM

1CharmShort - yes, that's the pattern I have. Well, I say pattern but it didn't have anything inside. It is a folded manila type card with the picture on the front. On the inside it gives fabric requirements. For a lap size (they call it "personal") of 60 x 72 It says it is 32 blocks and gives amount for background fabric, binding and Assorted flower colors - 2 strips = 3 flowers and uses scrap. There must have been another sheet of paper inside with cutting sizes and directions but it was not in the ziplock.

Oh, this is great! The ebay listing you found shows a block diagram! I couldn't see how they stems were done from the small picture on the card front I have.

The picture I posted is a larger quilt I found on the internet. I like the other blocks you found :-).

Thanks so much for your help. Maybe...just maybe I can figure this out. I really don't want to buy a second pattern.

Last edited by amBoo; 01-25-2023 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:21 PM

Good luck! Hope you post a pic when you're all done....
Old 01-25-2023, 04:24 PM

There are a few patterns available on Ebay as well. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ttern&_sacat=0
Old 01-25-2023, 05:19 PM

I have found that this pattern is the Flower from the Ohio Rose in my quilt book. Ohio Rose adds some other pieces but the flower you are looking for is the Ohio Rose. Anyone who would like this pattern Send me your email by pm and I can send you the pattern outline.