Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Designer Quilt Fabric >

Designer Quilt Fabric

Designer Quilt Fabric

Old 01-30-2023, 05:05 AM

Default Designer Quilt Fabric

Not meaning to bash some designers, but I really can't wrap my head around the prices of some quilting fabric from several designers including Tula Pink, Kaffe Fassett, Lori Holt, Tim Holtz. Sure, they are nice to look at (for the most part), but because of price I don't have any other than a layer cake by Lori Holt. Even on sale, these designers are more expensive than others. Why? Tighter weave? Brighter dyes? Inflation does play a part, or are they simply treading on their names? For me, I'll stick to the other designers with reasonable prices. And you?
Old 01-30-2023, 05:12 AM

Smile completely agree

Can't afford some of the designers fabric. But there is so much fabric out there and of the same quality, by other designers and a much better price. Much of it very similar as well. I go for the quality at a lower price.
Old 01-30-2023, 05:25 AM

80% of my fabrics have been sale purchases. Now days, I am not buying fabric unless it is a massive bargain or is necessary to complete a project. I prefer Batiks, but have seen prices skyrocket across the board for all things quilty, not just fabric.
Old 01-30-2023, 05:33 AM

Think its like most everything else. Buy a big name brand of most anything, you're paying for the name more so than the product itself. I find unknown name brands work and/or last just as long as the big name items and maybe even longer. Also when buying items whether to buy the "best", "middle best" or "normal", I'll buy the middle best cause even the best can break down as the other 2 classes can.

Just as an example, a friend went to buy a new boiler for his furnace and was told not to go with the highest rating but the next one below it for reasons they found issues with the high rating one. He saved money, still gets a good rating boiler and his power bills are as good as if he bought the high rating one. Plus he has less headaches knowing that the one he did buy works as it should with fewer hiccups.
Old 01-30-2023, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

I don't necessarily think the designers you mentioned have fabrics that are superior to others, but rather the name is what sells. I've bought them so that's just my experience. I buy on sale almost exclusively ( unless it's something I really want for my grandchildren )
One of my favorite fabrics is Art Gallery. They feel fantastic and are a joy to work with. I have some sprinkled in my stash but again, I get them on sale. Not cheap but heavenly to work with.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

The designers you named, Tula, Kaffe, Lori Holt... are all very popular right now. Their popularity adds to the cost of their fabric. (Supply and demand.) Those are fabrics you rarely see on sale, so you have to be prepared to shell out $12 or so per yard if you want them.

Kaffe is a phenomenon. His are the only prints I see being reprinted for years, while everyone else's prints get one shot and are then retired. I guess there is enough demand for his stuff that it continues to sell in subsequent years at full price.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

It is the same as brand name clothes. You are paying extra for the use of their name. Since I don’t shop brand name clothes, I don’t buy fabric just because of the designers name. Will I pay extra if I Love, love a fabric sometimes but not often because it just doesn’t mesh well with my stash fabrics.
Old 01-30-2023, 02:15 PM

I really don't care for a lot of the designer fabric as well. Some of it is, well... nope, nope, nope. But we all have our likes and dislikes. I think what turns me off a lot of them is the right in your face big and loud.
Old 01-30-2023, 04:16 PM

Kaffe and Tula do "require" a higher thread count fabric. Lori Holt and Tim Holtz don't. In my area, Kaffe and Tula are higher priced than Lori Holt and Tim Holtz. But Lori Holt requires a lot more fabric for her sew-alongs, than what is needed. For example, you may only need a 2 1/2" square, but her kit gives you a whole fat quarter.

It's been my experience that when people are a fan of a certain designer, they will pay the price.
Old 01-30-2023, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
Kaffe and Tula do "require" a higher thread count fabric. Lori Holt and Tim Holtz don't. In my area, Kaffe and Tula are higher priced than Lori Holt and Tim Holtz. But Lori Holt requires a lot more fabric for her sew-alongs, than what is needed. For example, you may only need a 2 1/2" square, but her kit gives you a whole fat quarter.

It's been my experience that when people are a fan of a certain designer, they will pay the price.
I noticed this also. So more fabric for another project!