Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt with pockets for seniors >

Quilt with pockets for seniors

Quilt with pockets for seniors

Old 02-11-2023, 03:57 AM

Default Quilt with pockets for seniors

Spending time checking out patterns on Etsy this morning and came across a lap quilt with pockets to help those in nursing homes keep their hands warm. There was also a smaller pocket to hold little items they might need (glasses, tissues, etc.). Thought to myself that this is very doable. While I have no relatives in nursing homes, I'm sure someone needs one of these! Has anyone ever made one before? This one is called "Lovie Lap Quilt with Pockets. For some reason I can't get the image to copied and share this morning.
Old 02-11-2023, 04:37 AM

No, I've never made one but they sound like a great idea! My dad's hand were always cold. I never thought to make a quilt with pockets for him though. One of those duh moments. Thanks for the great idea.
Old 02-11-2023, 04:44 AM

They look cozy and very functional. I think I'd make them a little shorter than the ones on Etsy. They look like they could get caught in the wheels of the wheelchair.
Old 02-12-2023, 05:23 AM

I use the "hug quilt" for Mom's wheelchair lap quilt. The narrow end is perfect for avoiding wheels. This is a video, not the original because I screenshot the page with measurements, but it is the same presenter. I used orphan quilt blocks for one!
Attached Thumbnails hug-diagram.jpg   block-hug.jpg  

Last edited by aashley333; 02-12-2023 at 05:32 AM.
Old 02-12-2023, 06:10 AM

Not the same, but I just made a “fidget blanket” for my friend with dementia after watching her pick at her clothes and the arm of her chair. It’s 14x28 and I used whatever I could find in my sewing room. Pinterest has examples. Will take it to her soon & hope it helps to calm her.
Old 02-12-2023, 07:59 AM

I bought that pattern a few years ago, and made several of them in the last few months. I did alter the size a little bit and made them smaller, about 30x36. They will be donated to a local nursing center to distribute as needed. The quilts went together fairly quickly ( I could do one in a few hours) and look good when finished. The pockets are very functional - 1 for the hands, like a muff, and one smaller one for glasses or phones. I have a significant amount of fabric, so I will be making more of these. I hope to have a couple dozen ready to donate at Christmastime.
Old 02-12-2023, 10:16 AM

check heartsdesirecreations files.wordpress.com free pattern for wheel chair quilts. i have made several, donated to nurseing home and they love them.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:49 AM

Momma would have loved one with the smaller poccet at least. She always carried her at least one extra tissue when wherever she went so pockets were always a must on her clothing.

Have never done one of these mainly because I never thought about doing something like it.