Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread breaking and not locking >

Thread breaking and not locking

Thread breaking and not locking

Old 02-11-2023, 12:51 PM

Default Thread breaking and not locking

So I finally got a new machine, I picked the one I wanted (inherited a teeny tiny bit of money (just enough for us both to get the two things we've been saving for for years, from a great aunt who loved that I was taking after her sister-in-law, my grandmother, who taught me to quilt when I was 11) so I could finally afford it!) But I've been having small issues with it compare to my old machine. This one breaks thread a lot more. I think I broke thread only 3-5 times with the old one (that must be SOME luck I assume!) and this one does it almost weekly!? Also when I use #3 stitch (the locking one) it'll do one stitch and stop, I have to pick my foot up and start again where it stitches 2-3 stitches and then goes like normal. Why it needs that one stitch before working I'm not sure? It does it every single time. And with all my new quilts on it (4 so far) some of the threads using that stitch are popping and breaking where the locking stitches are. I've never used this stitch before so maybe I'm doing it wrong?? I've gone back to my old way of just doing 2-4 stitches at 0.10 and then going on at my longer length, like locking it myself. None of those break. It also struggles a LOT more over thicker stuff, especially where there are more than 2 points on a seam. Not even with the quilting, it's doing it while piecing!! It's breaking thread and it almost violently shifts everything to the left. I'm using 70/75 needles aurfil thread (50wt) and the tensions don't matter it does it at every level. When it goes over things it doesn't like, like thicker seams (cause 4 layers of quilting cotton is so thick! haha) the stitches get weird too, when quilting the line of stitches on the back looks great, but the front will look like one line in some spots. Even if there is one very teeny bit of lint the bobbin and the case both go crazy, sometimes one or the other, sometimes both. (and a nitpicky bit that pop-up plate sounded nice but it's REAL hard to get back in, I worry I'll break it every time haha!) Should I go back to my old thread, the coats and clark all purpose poly. (if you read my old thread when I was having issues with my old machine the "repair" guy told me to only use aurfil (which is of course all he sells!) and I loved it, but after using the C&C and a spool of something else that I can't remember now both worked great. Do you think this machine just doesn't like the aurfil? I know machines can be picky. I also have to change needles a lot more than the old machine, I used to be able squeak two or three smaller quilts with one regular needle, now I sometimes have to change it in the middle of a project?!?! sigh. I feel like I got a dud. Hope not since where I got it they were awesome before I bought it, now they don't really care. They just want to send me to the repair dept (when I had a question about use, not with an issue) they have no help center or aftercare)

But otherwise I do love the machine! The stitches are nice and even when things are going well, the amt of stiches might prove to be fun, the extra harp area is nice.
Old 02-11-2023, 01:08 PM

Try an 80/12 Microtex needle. I got that tip from my service lady. My machine is a Pfaff and Pfaffs prefer 80/12 needles per my service lady. Found this to be true, I have way fewer issues with the 80/12 needle. I also started using Aurifil 50 wt. 95% time.
If I have issues I can pretty much chalk it up to operator error.
Old 02-11-2023, 02:52 PM

It would be helpful if you'd tell us which machine you bought. Some of the newer machines have the capability for wider stitches (7-9mm) than the older machines (5mm). On machines with 7-9mm stitches the feed dogs are farther apart and when trying for a 1/4 seam, the fabric doesn't completely cover the right feed dog. That can cause the fabric to veer to the left.

Rob
Old 02-11-2023, 03:18 PM

Agree to try the Micro-Tex 80/12.

My machine does not like Aurifil thread. It is gritty going through the threading guides and tends to break. Try a spool of embroidery thread and see what type of results you get.
Old 02-12-2023, 07:11 AM

When the machine doesn't go over 4 layers of fabric, it may be helpful to tighten the presser foot tension. Sounds like your machine is a computerized machine, so it might have to be done on the screen. Mechanical machines usually have a knob on top of the machine, on the left side. Tightening the presser foot tension may also help with thread and needles breaking.
Old 02-12-2023, 07:23 AM

Totally agree about using a different needle. I use a 90/14 in all my machines and have been using Glide thread. Please tell us which machine you have as all brands have quirks and solutions unique not them.
Old 02-12-2023, 08:55 AM

Thank you so much everyone! I just love this forum!!

I got a Janome 6650. I've tried the needles that came with the machine the purple tip ones, and wow, I HATED those, they produced the absolute worst of the problems (to the point I thought the machine would have to go in straight away after buying it, but then once I tossed the needle the problems weren't so bad). Thread breaking horribly, the machine slightly jamming a couple times, the stitches were somehow very uneven, it was bad. I switched to my normal Superior titanium 70/10, I also like the 80, I'll sometimes piece with the 70 and quilt with the 80. Honestly unless the fabric requires something specific I grab whatever I grab either the 70 or the 80. I have used their 90 too, but not as much, mostly the 90 sharper ones for the occasional batiks, which I don't really like working with as much as the regular quilting cotton.

I really liked the aurifil when I use the old machine, but I do find it to be very linty for me. With this one I just can't find my groove with it. I do have some of the C&C on hand so I might try to go back to that.

When going over thicker seams isn't it better to have a lower number on the pressure foot? When doing lighter/thinner fabrics I keep it around 2.5-3 and when I go over thicker stuff I have it closer to 2. (and with real thick stuff like denim I put it lower than 2) Is that wrong?

And Rob, thank you!!!!! That might just be the veering issue! I'm used to the smaller feed with my old Janome 6300 (5mm), going up to the 9mm might be the reason I'm struggling more with my 1/4" seam!! I really yanks the fabric over compared to my old machine. I'm slowly getting used to it, but it surprises me sometimes. haha.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

I do all my piecing with a 70/10 needle, but I use BottomLine thread, which is 60 wt. I like it because it's not linty, and it doesn't take up as much space in the seam, so it's easier for me to get the right seam allowance. The needle size is determined by the thread, and the needle type is determined by other factors, such as the type of fabric. There are charts and articles online to help you decide what needle to use.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:28 AM

What WonderDunster said!
Old 02-12-2023, 11:08 AM

there might be a problem with the machine if it is new I would check with them