Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Labels >

Quilt Labels

Quilt Labels

Old 02-15-2023, 06:30 AM

Default Quilt Labels

I want to begin making labels for my quilts. Etsy has many good labels. But I’d like to make my own. I saw a video of a lady that used a inkjet printer with fabric ironed on to freezer paper. Not sure what type of printer. I don’t embroidery. I would preferred to print, I think, but not sure. I would need to buy printer that would work and not jam. I would like to put care instructions on the label also and have each personalized. I would appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you 😊
Old 02-15-2023, 07:59 AM

I've heard if you iron your fabric onto freezer paper and make sure it;s the size your printer will take, it should go thru without jamming . As to which type of printer will do the best job, I can't answer that. I embroider mine.
Old 02-15-2023, 08:23 AM

You answered part of your own question. It’s my understanding that they can be printed only on an Inkjet printer and NOT a laser printer, as the laser printer gets too hot. Lots of info on YouTube and google.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:44 AM

I made a label for baby grandd's quilt... a poem . I used freezer paper ironed onto cotton muslin , and when finished printing, heat set with very hot iron. It looked great. I saw that quilt on a visit later. The quilt was 4 yr old and had seen many a laundry day. The label had faded, and was almost unreadable. So since then, l decided to embroider, even if it meant doing so by hand. I have since learned to use some of the alphabet lettering on my Janome 8900.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:48 AM

Thank you Suz for your response 💕

Lisa, you are right, I can google and look on YouTube and I have.
This quilt forum has wonderful experienced quilt makers, so I was looking for input.

Let me rephrase my question for my fellow quilters 😊

1) How do you label your quilts?
2) Do you use different types of labels for family, charity, customers?
3) Do you attach care instructions on the quilt also?

Thanks to everyone for their time. 🤗
Terry E.
Old 02-15-2023, 11:25 AM

You will do better if you embroider them. Injet fades over time as stitch678 has said and has also been a problem with mine. It does not take too much time to learn 2-3 stitches of embroidery.

I have several folks asking to have their labels replaced. You might also find a fabric (laundry) pen that says permanent and write it on with the pen.

Hope these help in your decision for your personal quilts.
Old 02-15-2023, 02:42 PM

I have made many labels with an inkjet printer and finally stopped when I realized that no matter what regular fabric, label-specific fabric or ink setting techniques I used, they ALL washed out after several washings. I now create my own labels on Word and have them printed through Spoonflower.
Old 02-15-2023, 02:49 PM

I was also going to suggest Spoonflower.
Old 02-16-2023, 05:53 AM

The inkjet printer to use is an Epson, I think. Many printers use water soluble ink. Get the printer that doesn't use water soluble ink, which I think is Epson.
bkay

Last edited by bkay; 02-16-2023 at 05:53 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-16-2023, 06:14 AM

Spoonflower will make a sampler of about 30 individual uploads (6"x8"?) for $35 (price when I ordered). These made great pot holders, but you could customize each one for your quilts. I ordered little labels online. Here's a pic of my order to give you an idea.
Attached Thumbnails thumbnail.jpg