Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you need to accurately cut  Foundation Piecing >

Do you need to accurately cut Foundation Piecing

Do you need to accurately cut Foundation Piecing

Old 02-19-2023, 02:07 PM

Default Do you need to accurately cut Foundation Piecing

Hi there,

I'm just beginning Foundation Piecing. Is it necessary to accurately cut the fabric to start with if you are going to end up sewing different shapes. Foe example, if I need a 3 1/4 x 1 1/4 piece, is it ok, let's say if I make a mistake and I cut
3 1/2 by 1 1/2, is this a big deal? Sorry for dumb questions.
Old 02-19-2023, 02:09 PM

Do you mean paper piecing?
If so, it doesn't matter, you will just need to trim the excess from the back at 1/4" after you've sewn it.

Watson
Old 02-19-2023, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Do you mean paper piecing?
If so, it doesn't matter, you will just need to trim the excess from the back at 1/4" after you've sewn it.

Watson
Yes, Watson, paper piecing by machine sewing. Thank you so much for your answer! I just bought a course by Carol Doak, Mastering Foundation Piecing. And I was wondering how exact I had to be at cutting fabric as the first step. This is why I'm learning foundation piecing as I am not good at cutting accurately or having that perfect straight 1/4 inch seam line.

Dolly
Old 02-19-2023, 02:52 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by onestrokeartist View Post
Hi there,

I'm just beginning Foundation Piecing. Is it necessary to accurately cut the fabric to start with if you are going to end up sewing different shapes. Foe example, if I need a 3 1/4 x 1 1/4 piece, is it ok, let's say if I make a mistake and I cut
3 1/2 by 1 1/2, is this a big deal?
Not an issue for foundation paper piecing, just a little more wasteful. You start oversized with the piece of fabric, stitch it, then cut away to a 1/4" seam allowance after stitching. As long as your pieces are at least the suggested cut size, you'll be fine, but you'll be cutting away more excess.
Old 02-19-2023, 03:39 PM

I don't usually cut the piece I'm adding on, I put it in place, use a "pinch and peek" process to see if it will be big enough in all necessary directions to fit and then I sew. Trim as needed. If I'm not certain it will fit, I baste it first (it's easier to take out if it isn't ok, and it saves the foundation paper a bit too).
Old 02-19-2023, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
Not an issue for foundation paper piecing, just a little more wasteful. You start oversized with the piece of fabric, stitch it, then cut away to a 1/4" seam allowance after stitching. As long as your pieces are at least the suggested cut size, you'll be fine, but you'll be cutting away more excess.
Thank you! I appreciate the answer!

Dolly
Old 02-19-2023, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by ElaineCovid View Post
I don't usually cut the piece I'm adding on, I put it in place, use a "pinch and peek" process to see if it will be big enough in all necessary directions to fit and then I sew. Trim as needed. If I'm not certain it will fit, I baste it first (it's easier to take out if it isn't ok, and it saves the foundation paper a bit too).
Oh thank you, that is very good to know!

Dolly
Old 02-19-2023, 09:29 PM
Power Poster

I don't try to save fabric when paper piecing. I always cut over size. I took a Judy Niemeyer class. That was the most tedious class I ever took for paper piecing. I did it the instructor's way in the class, half the class time was cutting fabric to fit exact size paper pieces. At home I finished the project by doing the regular paper piecing method.
Old 02-20-2023, 07:27 AM

because Carol has built her business on the technique her patterns call for regular cutting instructions. I don't know anyone else right off who does that, maybe the woman from Montana with the intricate quilts. So it doesn't matter how exact you are, only that your cuts are bigger Her class will be a great way to learn though as you'll get a good eye for what size to use in the future. It is really aggravating to stitch a piece on you thought was perfect and find it doesn't even reach the seam allowance.

have fun and show us what you are doing!
Old 02-20-2023, 08:21 AM

Also, if you do make a mistake and have to take something out which then rips the paper foundation, no worries, you can use a bit of scotch tape to put the paper back together so it can still be used. Ask me how I know LOL.
Rob